Having first made its appearance in red gold, the updated design for the Globetrotter now also featuring a steel case that coordinates perfectly with the large bridge spanning the world map of the northern hemisphere. Offering unparalleled aesthetics, this “world time” complication watch harnesses all the design skills and finishing dexterity at Arnold & Son. The Globetrotter adds to the prestigious lineage of marine chronometers that John Arnold created for the British Navy in the 18th century, instruments of precision and time telling renowned the world over.
After revisiting the aesthetic with the Globetrotter Gold, Arnold & Son returns once more with the steel version of its world time watch. The Globetrotter Steel preserves the Earth’s half-globe and sapphire crystal ring, which together make it possible to read the time north of the equator. A choice of two dials is available. One in tonal blue, lacquered, with sunburst decoration, in an exclusive series of only 88 pieces. The other, in silvery white, also lacquered and with sunburst decoration, with no limit on the number of pieces.
Arched and slender
Arnold & Son has designed a watch with harmonious, sleek lines. The case forms a continuous line from the strap to the sapphire crystal dome suspended above the dial. This large transparent hemisphere follows the line of the steel arch bridge that sets the Globetrotter collection apart from all other timepieces. This arch is openworked with a satin finish on all its flat surfaces, chamfered and polished by hand. The slender chords rest on two feet fixed with screws, like a stylised bridge spanning two banks. Here it reaches across half of the world, the most densely inhabited part of the earth: the northern hemisphere.
Vast and detailed
At 45mm, the Globetrotter Steel has a large case. The hemisphere was the guiding principle for the design, requiring a certain amount of space. Everything resting above the equator, including America, Eurasia and Africa, is all visible in a wealth of detail. The model is a one-of-a-kind sculpture, the continents first rhodium-plated and polished. In contrast, mountain ranges are rendered matt. The oceans are hand-painted with numerous layers of lacquer in blue pigments, enriched with mother-of-pearl powder which imparts exceptional depth and shine. In a lighter tone enriched with Super-LumiNova, the shorelines stand out at night, further accentuating the textured elements of this miniature showcase of manual craftsmanship. Arnold & Son also offer the southern hemisphere and can customise the world map of Globetrotter collection pieces to special order.
Manufactured and finely worked
The Globetrotter Steel is equipped with the Maison’s A&S6022 self-winding calibre. Like all Arnold & Son movements, it has been fully developed, manufactured, decorated, assembled, adjusted and fitted at its factory in La Chaux-de-Fonds. The oscillating weight with a Clous de Paris guilloché pattern is skeletonized and NAC coated, bringing its hue closer to that of the movement. The A&S6022 calibre is decorated according to traditional fine watchmaking motifs: pearlized main plate, sunburst Côtes de Genève bridges, satin-finished wheels, and chamfered and polished screws. The specific finish used for this model is its very special NAC treatment. This type of plating uses precious metals which are close to platinum, resulting in a particularly high-quality anthracite finish that perfectly matches the grey case of the Arnold & Son Globetrotter Steel.
Arnold & Son Globetrotter Steel Technical Specifications
- hours and minutes, world hours (24-hour ring)
- Calibre: A&S6022, self-winding mechanism
- Jewels: 29
- Diameter: 39.00 mm
- Thickness: 6.55 mm
- Power reserve 45 hours
- Frequency: 4 Hz / 28,800 vph
- main plate: circular-grained and NAC coated
- bridges: chamfered and polished, NAC coated sunburst Côtes de Genève
- wheels: circular, rhodium-plated satin finish
- screws: bevelled and mirror polished
- oscillating weight: engraved and skeletonized, ADLC and NAC coated
- lacquered, brushed sunburst
- tonal blue or opaline, Roman numeral transfers
- 24-hour ring: sapphire crystal with hour transfers
- Earth’s dome
- ontinents: polished sculpture with mattified mountain range details
- oceans: hand-painted, blue lacquer and mother-of-pearl powder
- shores: hand-painted, blue lacquer, mother-of-pearl powder and Super-LumiNova
- bridge: steel, chamfered, polished and satin-brushed
- Material: stainless steel
- Diameter: 45.00 mm
- Crystal: domed sapphire, anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Back: sapphire crystal, anti-reflective treatment
- Water resistance: 30 metres/100ft
- Material: hand-stitched blue alligator leather
- Buckle: pin, stainless steel
- blue: 88 pieces
- opaline: not limited
Worldwide retail price
- blue: CHF 18,900 before tax (subject to change)
- opaline: CHF 17,900 before tax (subject to change)