Following on from the two previously launched collaborations with Black Badger, Bamford Watch Department X Black Badger are excited to announce their next collaboration, the BWD X BB Zenith El Primero Superconductor.
The case material for this project is a solid superconductor. A superconductor is a blanket term for the family of materials that.. superconduct!
Traditionally superconductors are used in applications where transferring massive amounts of electrical energy is required. MRI machines, particle accelerators, even nuclear reactors use superconductors as a simple power cord would, of course, not suffice.
George Bamford, Founder of Bamford Watch Department comments. “There are many variations and types of superconducting materials but in this instance we are dealing with a copper-niobium variation.
Filaments of niobium metal are housed within copper and extruded to the desired length.
The superconductor we have used for this collaboration is comprised of a tight orientation of silver metal and copper housing. There is a fantastically organised network honeycomb aesthetic. However, when angles and curves are introduced to the metal a brilliant high-tech woodgrain array is revealed.
You can expose the finished superconductor piece to a special acid that will eat away the copper but leave the niobium structure untouched. This gives a highly dramatic, skeletonised effect with unrivalled contrast.
This material has been machined down into the mid-case of the watch and it has been lightly acid etched to make the honey-comb stand out more and the finish matt with glass bead. However, this material can also be polished to a light finish”.
Black Badger continues, “Superconductor as a material has been one of the main materials I have used in my jewellery design for several years, purely for its aesthetic.
The honeycomb structure gives the material a very striking high-tech look, and when the material is cut across the grain at an angle, the structure takes on a futuristic type of woodgrain effect.
This effect is compounded by immersing the watch case in a special acid bath that has been formulated to etch away at the copper material but not the niobium. This causes an almost dystopian future decay appearance that will be different from every angle viewed.’’
Bamford Watch Department X Black Badger Zenith El Primero Superconductor Technical Specifications
- MODEL: CHRONOMASTER: El Primero 42mm
- TYPE: Automatic El Primero column-wheel chronograph
- DATE: Indication at 6 o’clock position
- MOVEMENT: El Primero 400B Automatic
- 31 Jewels
- 326 Components
- 36,000 VpH
- Power Reserve – Min. 50 hours
- Central chronograph hand
- 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock
- 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock
- Hours and minutes in the centre
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock
- Date indication at 6 o’clock
Case, Dial & Hands
- CASE MATERIAL: Copper Niobium Superconductor
- CASE DIAMETER: 42 mm
- CASE THICKNESS: 12.75 mm
- CRYSTAL: Domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
- CASE-BACK: Transparent sapphire crystal
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 10 ATM – 100 m
- DIAL: Black and Gold coloured dial with gold texture. Modern & unique sub dials and tachymeter. Hands with Super-LumiNova
- STRAP: Genuine suede leather in black with gold contrast stitch
- LUG WIDTH: 21mm
- £14,500.00, prototype