Following the success of the BMW ALPINA B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé, ALPINA is expanding its offering in the premium segment with the new BMW ALPINA B8 Gran Coupé AWD. It combines the highest levels of performance, dynamics and comfort in a bold and beautiful design. An exclusive automobile that appeals to all your senses.
- Power reserves: The 4.4 litre V8 engine with bi-turbo charging produces an impressive 457 kW (621 hp). The maximum torque of 800 Nm (590 lb-ft) is available from just 2000 rpm for vigorous power delivery at all times.
- Explosive driving performance: From a standing start, the BMW ALPINA B8 accelerates to 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds and can reach a maximum speed of 324 km/h (201 mph).
- Tailored V8 sound: The specially developed ALPINA sport exhaust system is a stainless-steel wonder. Providing both visual and auditory delight, it is designed to reduce back-pressure, and features the bold, natural sound of a powerful V8 engine. The driver can influence the sound by switching between COMFORT and SPORT mode, which controls the active exhaust flaps.
- Fascinating dynamics, superior driving experience: The BMW ALPINA B8’s chassis and suspension set-up is harmoniously balanced, combining superior long-distance travel comfort with precise handling characteristics. The adaptive dampers provide for a wide range of driving experiences, ranging from COMFORT+ to SPORT+.
- Precision design: The Gran Coupé’s appearance is distinguished by elegant lines that masterfully emphasise the vehicle’s flowing silhouette. The athletic character is further emphasised by the ALPINA aerodynamic components. The ALPINA CLASSIC 21“ forged wheels with their minimalistic 20 spoke design are an unmistakable, exclusive ALPINA identifier.
- Finest materials: The interior design reflects the luxurious comfort of the BMW ALPINA B8 in every detail. High-quality materials, an extensive range of standard equipment and exclusive ALPINA details contribute to an exquisite interior. The interior can optionally be finished in finest LAVALINA leather, sumptuous, supple and unrivalled.
Experience superior performance – 4.4-litre V8 engine with Biturbo charging
The eight-cylinder engine of the BMW ALPINA B8 is characterised by a dynamic and smooth power delivery and offers excellent responsiveness over the entire rpm range.
The 4.4 litre V8 engine with bi-turbo charging achieves a maximum power output of 457 kW (621 hp). The maximum torque of 800 Nm (590 lb-ft) is available from just 2000 rpm and maintained up to 5000 rpm. The superior power delivery of the engine translates directly into stunning performance: from a standing start, the BMW ALPINA B8 accelerates to 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds. The maximum speed is 324 km/h (201 mph).
The engine’s power characteristics and superb throttle response are the result of optimised turbocharging and cooling systems, not to mention ALPINA’s instantly recognizable throttle harmony. Two twin-scroll turbochargers facilitate the near-instantaneous conversion of exhaust gas energy into boost pressure, even at low engine speeds for early maximum torque. The ALPINA cooling system ensures thermal stability and optimum efficiency of the high-performance engine, even under continuous high loads. It consists of three external coolant coolers, an enlarged transmission oil cooler and a low-temperature cooling system (air/water/air) with ALPINA’s specific intercoolers with 50 percent more cooling surface. The optimised cross section of the coolant feed enables maximum throughput.
The ALPINA sport exhaust system is notable for its nuanced, harmonious V8 soundtrack: sophisticated and restrained in COMFORT mode or emotional and sonorous in SPORT mode. The two twin tailpipes, finished in stainless steel, are elegantly integrated in the rear apron in typical ALPINA fashion.
The BMW ALPINA B8 has been homologated to the latest Euro 6d-ISC-FCM emission standards and features state-of-the art BMW exhaust gas treatment technology: four catalysts reduce the amount of nitrogen oxide in the exhaust gas and two large gasoline particulate filters with an enhanced filter substrate reduce the emission of soot particles. Fuel consumption measured according to the new and more realistic WLTP measuring cycle (Worldwide Harmonized Light-Duty Vehicles Test Procedure) is 11.9 l/100 km with CO2 emissions of 270 g/km*.
* Stated fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are measured pursuant to EU Regulation 715/2007 in its applicable version.
For more information please see NEW TEST PROCEDURE (WLTP) at the end of this press release.
Power transmission without compromise – 8-speed sport automatic transmission
The 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC converts the high engine output into superb driving performance. The latest 8HP76 transmission generation has undergone substantial development work in cooperation with the transmission specialists at ZF. Depending on the selected drive mode, shift dynamics have been raised to a whole new level without compromising on the smooth shift comfort that ALPINA is renowned for.
A high-performance hydrodynamic torque converter with reinforced internals is used to reliably transmit the engine’s high torque output. An aluminium transmission oil sump ensures the system is optimally cooled. The advanced turbine torsional damper absorbs drivetrain vibrations noticeably enhancing driving comfort.
Specific transmission shift strategies are available for different driving situations. In SPORT mode, shift points are optimised for driving performance and gear shifts are noticeably dynamic. The COMFORT mode allows for relaxed cruising at low engine rpms even when travelling at highway speeds but remains responsive thanks to the instant availability of 800 Nm (590 lb-ft) of torque.
MANUAL mode offers super-fast shifts taking mere milliseconds. Gear shifts can be initiated using either the ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC buttons on the back of the steering wheel or the optionally available ALPINA shift paddles. The anodised shift paddles in black matt, CNC milled from a single piece of aluminium, appeal with their high-quality and ergonomic design.
Precision dynamic and comfort – the Alpina sport suspension
Countless test kilometres were completed on Europe’s most demanding test tracks during the development of the BMW ALPINA B8’s sport suspension system. The result is a very refined suspension and chassis set-up that combines first-class long-distance ride comfort with precise handling characteristics. The BMW ALPINA B8 impresses in a myriad of driving situations with its harmonious, balanced chassis and a high sense of safety.
Front axle struts with hydro mounts enhance the ride comfort and work in combination with Eibach springs to guarantee balanced suspension characteristics. Stiffer suspension strut support mounts provide greater vehicle stability during dynamic lane changes. Reinforced sway bars on the front axle and stiffer lower wishbone mounts result in excellent lateral dynamic properties.
The Integral Active Steering offers direct steering response with exceptional feedback and improves overall agility. The Active Kinematics Control System from ZF enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers “with” (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability.
The intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel drive system ensures an equally dynamic and effortless transmission of power on to the road. A rear axle limited-slip differential lets the BMW ALPINA B8 tap into its full dynamic capabilities, especially when cornering: a traction-dependent torque distribution increases vehicle stability when entering the corner and enables a more agile vehicle behaviour when exiting the corner.
Custom made wheels and tyres
The Ultra-High Performance tyres specially developed for the BMW ALPINA B8, are available in sizes 245/35 ZR21 on the front axle (EU tyre label*: E/B/ 72 dB) and 285/30 ZR21 on the rear axle (EU tyre label*: E/B/ 73dB). In cooperation with the tyre experts at Pirelli, the tyres are specially adapted to the vehicle concept of the BMW ALPINA B8. The Pirelli Noise Cancelling System fitted to the front tyres improves acoustic comfort.
The 21“ wheels feature the brand’s classic design of 20 minimalistic spokes. A lockable wheel hub cover with the ALPINA emblem underlines the flawless appearance of these beautifully designed, weight-optimised forged wheels. The ALPINA CLASSIC 20“ forged wheel is also available for winter tyres in a 20 spoke design without a wheel hub cover.
The ALPINA brake system can easily be recognised by its blue brake callipers bearing a white ALPINA lettering. Four-piston fixed brake callipers from Brembo with 395 mm (15.6“) diameter brake discs on the front axle and floating brake callipers with 398 mm (15.7“) diameter brake discs on the rear axle provide high safety reserves and thermodynamic stability, even under high loads. ALPINA’s high-performance brake system with drilled brake discs and high-temperature resistant brake pads offers even more direct pedal feedback and excellent fading stability.**
* EU tyre label = fuel efficiency / wet grip / noise class, external rolling noise.
** Please note that drilled bake discs may lead to a loss of acoustic comfort.
Flowing lines, modern room comfort – design and equipment
The Gran Coupé is striking in appearance, with an elegant, flowing silhouette. The aerodynamically optimised ALPINA exterior components endow the BMW ALPINA B8 with exclusive aesthetics.
The large air intakes on the ALPINA front apron ensure that the high-performance engine is supplied with sufficient cooling air flow. The ALPINA rear apron with a black diffuser insert takes up the precise contours of the body. The Coupé’s sweeping silhouette is extended by a subtle ALPINA rear spoiler lip.
The ALPINA Blue Metallic and ALPINA Green Metallic paint finishes are exclusively reserved for BMW ALPINA automobiles and add an elegant and exquisite touch also to the BMW ALPINA B8. There is also a wide variety of BMW and BMW Individual paint finishes available to choose from.
The interior epitomises the prestigious standard of luxury of the current 8 Series model generation: the Gran Coupé offers exceptional interior comfort and impresses with its combination of the finest craftsmanship and premium materials. Elegant ALPINA details, such as illuminated ALPINA door sills or the iDrive Controller in crystal glass with a lasered ALPINA logo, as well as the standard ALPINA interior trim in Walnut Anthracite high-gloss, set exclusive accents. Each ALPINA steering wheel is intricately hand-finished with natural, untreated LAVALINA leather – for an incomparable tactile experience on every journey.
Anyone wishing to fulfil their dream of designing a vehicle interior for themselves can customise their BMW ALPINA B8 using the extensive range of personalisation options offered by ALPINA’s in-house leather workshop. Here, master craftsmen create interior compositions that are designed, down to the very last detail, to the customer’s wishes.
The extensive standard equipment of the BMW ALPINA B8 reflects the high ALPINA standards of comfort. The standard equipment includes multi-functional sport seats, seat and steering wheel heating as well as BMW Individual extended Merino leather upholstery and a leather-covered instrument panel. The standard Harman Kardon surround sound system offers a first-class sound experience. Leading BMW navigation, communication, infotainment and driver assistance systems, such as the BMW Driving Assistant Professional, are also included as standard in the BMW ALPINA B8.
BMW ALPINA B8 Gran Coupé AWD Technical Specifications and Price
This is a translation of the original German brochure which fulfils the requirements of German law. All technical data in this brochure apply to the German market, additional international units of measure shown in the technical data for the purposes of information only. Further information on specific fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of new passenger cars is provided by the ‚Leitfaden über den Kraftstoffverbrauch, die CO2-Emissionen und den Stromverbrauch neuer Personenkraftwagen‘ which can be obtained free of charge at all points of sale and from the Deutsche Automobil Treuhand GmbH (DAT) or online https://www.dat.de/co2/.
- Stated fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are measured pursuant to EU Regulation 715/2007 in its applicable version. From 1st of September 2018 the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) has replaced the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC). Regardless of the applied test procedure, it is currently still mandatory to state fuel consumption and CO2 emissions according to NEDC, hence stated values are determined based on the WLTP test procedure and are converted to NEDC for comparison purposes. Depending on your country, vehicle related taxes or other duties may be based on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions data which differs from that stated here. The provision of additional fuel consumption and CO2 emissions as determined according to WLTP is currently voluntary until their provision becomes mandatory by law.
- The figures quoted includes a 90 % tank filling, 68 kg for the driver an 7 kg for luggage. Unladen weight applies to vehicles with standard equipment.
Optional equipment may increase this figure.
- EU-tyre label = fuel efficiency / wet grip / external rolling noise class.
- Modifications and errors excepted.
- Cylinders: V8 90°
- Capacity cm³: 4395
- Bore mm: 89.0
- Stroke mm: 88.3
- Compression ratio: 1 10.5
- Max output kW (hp): 457 (621)
- Max output at rpm: 5500 – 6500
- Max torque: Nm / lb-ft 800 / 590
- Max torque at rpm 2000 – 5000
- Engine management: BOSCH DME 8.8.T
- Fuel type: 98-octane
- Emission classification: Euro 6d-ISC-FCM
- Type: 8-Speed Sport-Automatic (ZF 8HP76) with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC
- Transmission ratios :1
- 1st gear 5.00 5th gear 1.31
- 2nd gear 3.20 6th gear 1.00
- 3rd gear 2.14 7th gear 0.82
- 4th gear 1.72 8th gear 0.64
- Overall gear ratio: 7.81
- Reverse gear ratio :1 3.48
- Final drive ratio :1 2.81
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h / 0-62 mph s 3.4
- Acceleration: 0-200 km/h / 0-124 mph s 11.6
- Top speed: km/h 324 / mph 201
CONSUMPTION 1, 4
- Official Fuel Consumption NEDC correlated:
- l/100 km 15.8
- mpg 17.9
- l/100 km 8.4
- mpg 33.6
- l/100 km 11.1
- mpg 25.4
- Official CO2 emissions NEDC correlated
- Combined g/km 254
- CO2 efficiency (Germany) F
- Additional Information WLTP
- Fuel consumption WLTP combined l/100 km 11.9
- CO2 emissions WLTP combined g/km 270
- Length mm: 5092
- Width mm: 1932
- Width with exterior mirrors mm: 2137
- Height, unladen mm: 1428
- Wheelbase mm: 3023
- Track, front mm: 1623
- Track, rear mm: 1666
- Luggage capacity l: 440
- Fuel tank, approx. l: 68
- Unladen (EU)² kg: 2175
- Max permissible kg: 2600
- Permitted load kg: 500
- Max axle load:
- front kg 1300
- rear kg 1390
WHEELS & TYRES 4
- ALPINA CLASSIC 21“ forged wheels with PIRELLI P ZERO (ALP)
- front 8.5 x 21“ with 245/35 ZR21 (96Y) XL
- EU-tyre label 3 E/B/ 72 dB
- rear 10 x 21“ with 285/30 ZR21 (100Y) XL
- EU-tyre label 3 E/B/ 73 dB
- Recommended retail prices in EUR incl. 19 % German sales tax ex-factory Buchloe:
BMW ALPINA B8 GRAN COUPÉ: 161.200,- Euro.