The House of Breguet adds fresh sparkle to the Breguet Reine de Naples 8918 model with a touch of crimson. This composition in white gold is illuminated by opaline mother-of-pearl and diamonds.
Breguet presents a new Reine de Naples 8918 watch model enhanced with captivating red. The delicate oval shape of the case – slightly elongated – is a free interpretation of the watch formerly created by Abraham-Louis Breguet for Caroline Murat. The Breguet Arabic numerals appear in garnet on the white mother-of-pearl hours chapter. The alligator leather strap reflects this vibrant hue. Created in the watchmaking tradition of Breguet, the Reine de Naples 8918 watch beats to the rhythm of a self-winding manufacture caliber.
The talent of the artisans of the House of Breguet becomes apparent in the center of the watch dial, with a clou de Paris guilloche pattern engraved in white gold then powdered and silvered. Delicate edging emphasizes the circumference of the timer. Fine blued Breguet hands indicate the minutes and hours in red numerals. Designed with a touch of imagination, the contrasts between the different shades and finishes of the dial improve its readability, an issue dear to A.-L. Breguet’s heart. Finally, the individual number of the timepiece appears at the top of the hours chapter. If the owner so wishes, Breguet will record her name in its archives, which have been kept since the late eighteenth century.
A ribbon of 117 brilliant-cut diamonds highlights the white-gold bezel, as well as the dial flange. Placed at 6 o’clock, a pear-shaped diamond punctuates the hours chapter. The brilliance of the setting extends to the folding buckle, illuminated by 26 diamonds.
The Reine de Naples 8918 comes with a white-gold case with finely fluted sides. A new color touch has been added to 4 o’clock: a cabochon-cut ruby on the equally fluted crown. The sapphire caseback reveals the self-winding manufacture caliber 537/3, which has a power reserve of 45 hours. Each component is decorated by hand with care, as is the Breguet tradition. The Reine de
Naples 8918 by Breguet is a joyfully intense interpretation of the styles of a legendary collection.
The Watch of a Queen
During her reign over Naples, Caroline Murat, Napoléon Bonaparte’s younger sister, was a great supporter of the arts and would acquire over 30 Breguet watches and clocks. In 1810, the watchmaker established at Quai de l’Horloge in Paris began an unprecedented creation for the Queen of Naples: a watch designed to be worn on the wrist. This would be the world’s first known wristwatch. From its delivery in 1812 to repairs in 1849 and 1855, the Breguet archives have kept track of the history and characteristics of this watch, whose whereabouts today are unknown. The oblong-shaped creation with an engine-turned silver dial was very delicate and included several complications: a repeater, a moon-phase indicator, and also a thermometer. Finally, it had a wristlet of hair and gold thread that allowed it to be worn on the wrist.
Breguet Reine de Naples 8918 Specifications
- Oval, 18-karat white gold with delicately fluted caseband.
- Bezel and dial flange set with 117 diamonds weighing approximately 0.99 carats.
- Crown set with a cabochon-cut ruby weighing 0.27 carats.
- Sapphire-crystal caseback. Dimensions: 36.5 × 28.45 millimetres.
- Thickness 10.05 millimetres.
- Water-resistant to 3 bar (30 meters).
- Silvered gold (18 carats), engine-turned with white mother-of-pearl, signed Breguet.
- Hours chapter with red Breguet Arabic numerals off-centre at 6 o’clock.
- Pear-shaped diamond at 6 o’clock weighing approximately 0.08 carats.
- Breguet open-tipped hands in blued steel.
- Mechanical self-winding movement.
- Calibre 537/3.
- 8¾ lignes.
- 26 jewels.
- 45-hour power reserve.
- 191 components.
- Silicon escape wheel and in-line Swiss lever escapement.
- Balance spring in silicon.
- Frequency 3.5 hertz.
- Breguet balance wheel.
- Adjusted in 6 positions.
- Red alligator leather strap with a buckle set with 26 diamonds weighing approximately 0.12 carats.