A perpetual calendar, with its union of the practical and the poetic, is the ultimate expression of elegance and sophistication for the modern gentleman. This year Chopard is presenting its celebrated perpetual calendar, the chronometer-certified L.U.C Perpetual Twin, in two stand-out versions in rose gold and stainless steel that offer gentleman connoisseurs a new expression of artful style and horological finesse.
Designed for life
Launched in 2016 on the 20th anniversary of Chopard Manufacture, the L.U.C Perpetual Twin is recognised for its combination of purist-pleasing Haute Horlogerie and the practicality of an automatic steel wristwatch designed to be worn every day. Indeed, it remains the only chronometer-certified perpetual calendar in stainless steel currently on the market, a reflection of Chopard’s absolute commitment to superior quality in every watch it makes.
Chopard now presents this modern timepiece once more in robust stainless steel, with a newly-refined dial in a rich and urbane shade of blue. Additionally, the L.U.C Perpetual Twin is presented for the first time in 18-carat rose gold, with a subtle grey dial.
Balance and poise
Both dials emphasise tonal contrasts through sunray satin-brush finishes. This forms a setting for a display in which information is presented with elegance and absolute clarity. A big date forms the focal point of the layout, with sub-dials for the perpetual calendar day, month and leap year indications, and small seconds at 6 o’clock. Minimalist applied hour markers bring quiet poise to this discreet and perfectly balanced design.
Technical mastery: a perpetual calendar chronometer
Visible beneath a sapphire crystal caseback, the movement powering the L.U.C Perpetual Twin, mechanical automatic calibre L.U.C 96.22-L, is a work of true technical and artisanal mastery. Hand-made by Chopard’s skilled watchmakers, it exhibits the finest traditions of hand-finishing, and has been certified as a chronometer by the experts of Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC) – a rare distinction for perpetual calendar watches, and one that guarantees utmost precision and reliability.
Chopard’s watchmakers also ensured that elegance is built into the watch from the calibre outwards, thank to a 22-carat gold micro-rotor that sits within the plane of the movement, keeping the entire mechanism to just 6 mm in depth. Chopard Twin Technology, meanwhile, employs dual barrels to deliver an extended power reserve of 65 hours, meaning that the watch will continue running when left untouched for over two-and-a-half days.
The gentleman’s way
The L.U.C Perpetual Twin is in every way the watch of the modern gentleman – a quietly sophisticated statement of culture and elegance, for the man who naturally advocates for art, aesthetics, handcraft and style. And as such, it is a timepiece conveying the essence of Chopard watchmaking: a refined celebration of the watchmaker’s art, that is both distinctive and utterly discreet.
Movement construction, product design, gold smelting, case stamping and machining, movement components, traditional hand-crafted decorations, surface treatments, polishing, assembly, movement adjustment and quality control: all operations involved in watch production are performed in-house by Chopard Manufacture. The Maison applies them to the making of each timepiece in the L.U.C collection paying tribute to the founder whose initials it bears: Louis-Ulysse Chopard. Profoundly attached to the pure lines and subtle details that made his watches such highly sought-after items, Louis-Ulysse Chopard already knew how to attire gentlemen with beautiful pocket-watches back in his day.
Chopard L.U.C Perpetual Twin Technical Specifications
- Stainless steel or 18-carat rose gold
- Total diameter: 43 mm
- Thickness: 11.47 mm
- Water resistance: 30 metres
- Stainless steel crown or 18-carat rose gold with L.U.C logo: 6.50 mm
- Vertical satin-brushed case middle
- Polished bezel
- Glare-proofed sapphire crystal
- Exhibition back
- Mechanical movement with automatic winding: L.U.C 96.22-L
- Total diameter: 33.00 mm
- Thickness: 6.00 mm
- Number of jewels: 29 jewels
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: 65 hours
- Two barrels – Chopard Twin Technology
- Automatic winding by a 22-carat micro-rotor
- Bridges adorned with a Côtes de Genève motif
- Flat terminal curve
- Chronometer-certified (COSC)
Dial and hands:
- Blue-coloured or ruthenium grey-coloured dial with sunburst satin-brushed motif focused on the big date
- Perpetual calendar dials (large-aperture date, day of the week, month and leap years)
- Rhodium-plated or gilded Dauphine-type hour and minute hands
- Rhodium-plated or gilded baton-type hands small seconds, day and month indications
- Black-tipped or gilded triangular leap-year hand
- Facetted rhodium-plated or gilded hour-markers
- Minute track
Functions and displays:
- Central display of the hours and minutes
- Small seconds display at 6 o’clock
- Big date display at 12 o’clock
- Day of the week and month displays at 9 and 3 o’clock respectively
- Offset leap-year display between 2 and 3 o’clock.
Strap and buckle:
- Hand-sewn blue or brown alligator leather with cognac alligator leather lining
- Polished and satin-brushed stainless steel or 18-carat rose gold pin buckle
Ref. 168561-3003 – in stainless steel
Ref. 161976-5003 – in 18-carat rose gold