Easily one Corum’s most iconic collections, the Admiral embraces the spirit of contemporary design inspired by a long history with maritime sailing. This collection is beloved by collectors, especially those with a yearning to indulge in an active yet elegant lifestyle. Now, Corum’s master craftsmen unveil six new versions of the coveted Admiral 42 Automatic with a distinctive dial motif: the Corum Admiral 42 Automatic “Grenadier Fendu”.
It was three years after the inaugural America’s Cup reenactment race (celebrating the 1851 America’s Cup regatta, which today is the oldest international sailing competition) in 1957, that Corum released its first Admiral watch. The brand worked with the race organization, for which it was a sponsor, to establish the first then-square Admiral watches that made their debut in 1960.
Two decades later, in 1980, the Corum Admiral collection was totally reimagined. It now boasted the 12-sided (dodecagonal) case shape and coloured sailing pennants that quickly garnered it a cult-like following and elevated the series to the legendary status it enjoys to this day. In the decades since, the Admiral has enjoyed grand attention as new and more visionary evolutions (always inspired by marine races and sailing) set the stage for this master of the seas timepiece.
Today, as Corum answers the call of contemporary casual navigators and lovers of the sea, it brings new versions to the forefront that are ready to go the distance. Each of the six versions boasts a dial with the three-dimensional Grenadier fendu motif that was totally designed in house in La Chaux-de-Fonds by the Corum team in 2019 and is unique and proprietary to the brand. Thus far, this dial motif has only been used on the 38mm and 45mm Admiral Automatic watches, so this marks a first for the Corum Admiral 42 Automatic.
Essentially, the six new versions boast two dial colours among them: a rich Mediterranean sea blue and a striking midnight black. Each dial colour is offered in three models: stainless steel case and bracelet; stainless steel case with colour-coordinated alligator leather strap; stainless steel case with 18-karat 5N rose gold bezel and crown and colour-coordinated alligator leather strap with triple folding clasp.
A tour around the dial of each watch showcases an outer chapter flange with the famed nautical pennants transferred in outlined format and minute indexes, applied hour markers and white Super-LumiNova coated Dauphine skeletonized hands, date at 3:00 via an aperture and subsidiary small seconds dial at 6:00.
The sapphire crystal of each watch is treated with an anti-reflective coating, as is the case back that allows for viewing of the movement. Each watch is powered by the automatic CO 395 calibre that beats at 4 Hz and offers 42 hours of power reserve. Thanks to a screwed in caseback, the Corum Admiral 42 Automatic watches are water-resistant to 100 meters. They are a tour de force perfect for today’s lifestyles.
Corum Admiral 42 Automatic “Grenadier Fendu” Technical Specifications
- A395/04291 – 395.110.20/V720 AB60
- A395/04292 – 395.110.20/V720 AN60
- A395/04293 – 395.110.20/0F02 AD60
- A395/04294 – 395.110.20/0F01 AN60
- A395/04299 – 395.110.24/0F01 AB60
- A395/04300 – 395.110.24/0F01 AN60
- Movement number: CO 395
- Winding system: Automatic
- Functions: Hour & Minute • Date • Small second
- Power reserve: 42 hours
- Frequency: 4 Hz, 28’800 vph
- Dimension: 11 1/2’’’
- Rubies: 27 to 31 rubies depending on the execution
- 42mm dodecagonal
- 10.30mm thickness
- Stainless steel
- Stainless steel or 5N 18kt rose gold bezel
- Crown in stainless steel or 5N 18kt rose gold
- Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
- Screwed in open back cover in stainless steel, sapphire crystal with anti-
- 100 meters / 10 ATM water resistance
- Material: brass
- Colour: blue or black
- Applied rhodium-coated minute indexes with white superluminova
- CORUM logo applied on the dial
- CORUM key applied on the dial
- «Grenadier fendu» finishing
- Hands: Dauphine • Rhodium-coated • Faceted • Skeleton • White superluminova
Strap/bracelet & Buckle
- Blue or black alligator strap / Stainless steel bracelet
- Interhorn/Buckle: 21/18 mm
- Buckle type: Triple folding stainless steel clasp
Recommended Retail Price
- CHF 4’200.- on alligator strap
- CHF 4’400.- on steel bracelet
- CHF 7’200.- for the Steel & Gold versions
Founded in 1955, Corum represents creative and daring watchmaking. Corum uses an approach free of dogmas that enables a reconceptualisation of movement construction, its casing, and the artistic crafts that brighten the dial. Behind the many technical achievements (baguette movement) and aesthetic achievements (Coin Watch, Feather, Bubble), Corum continues the tradition of high-quality watchmaking that is ahead of its time.
Corum, established in La Chaux-de-Fonds, is opening itself up to the contemporary, street art, and classical art worlds, and in doing so attracting the attention of various trendsetters. At once disruptive yet respectful of its watchmaking heritage, Corum maintains its status of a niche brand aimed at demanding collectors of unconventional timepieces. Corum is currently based on four collections that embody its vision of 21st-century watchmaking: Admiral, Bubble, Golden Bridge and Heritage.