After the launch of the “Klepcys Vertical Tourbillon” in 2018, the first model to feature a tourbillon complication in its range, the young and dynamic independent CYRUS Manufacture, based in Le Locle, is expanding its collection. CYRUS is presenting a new version of its innovative timepiece designed for enthusiasts of high-end exclusive mechanics: the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON.
Jean-François Mojon, the Manufacture’s technical director and inspirational master watchmaker, is the mastermind behind CYRUS creations. With this new timepiece, he has set out to renew the magic of the Klepcys Vertical Tourbillon, creating an interpretation that showcases the outstandingly innovative mechanism driving the watch. The tourbillon cage, placed in the middle of the dial for the first time, is set on a vertical axis at a 90° angle. Painstaking studies by the technical team at CYRUS revealed that this angle ensures the tourbillon cage is almost always in vertical position when on the wrist, thereby optimising its performance in precision.
Spectacular and refined, the new KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON allows fine watchmaking enthusiasts to dive right into the heart of the movement and enjoy the “dance” performed by its parts while reading off the retrograde time. Each element of the mechanism is finely finished and decorated, transforming it into an animated piece of exquisite craftsmanship.
All the visible elements on the “face” of the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON are positioned in such a way that ensure the design is perfectly symmetrical, and are set out in a three-dimensional architecture which adds further depth.
The arched vertical bridge, inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s self-supporting bridge, decorated using the “microbillage” technique features bevelled, polished edges and frames the tourbillon cage which performs one full rotation in one minute. It harmoniously divides the dial into two equal parts, making it easier to read off the retrograde hours and minutes. This original 3D structure is protected by a tailor-made sapphire crystal glass which is domed and anti-reflective, with a thickness of 1.2 mm.
To the right, a DLC black arch decorated with microbillage shows a scale running from 0 to 60 at 5-second intervals. It is embellished with a 4N gold or silver-finish edge, depending on the versions, and indicates the sweeping retrograde minutes with an exclusively sculpted hand. The left-hand arch in white Arabic numerals, which features the same finish as the minutes, marks the retrograde jumping hours. The seconds can be read off the tourbillon cage thanks to small numbered blocks, with the 60 seconds highlighted in red.
Between the two arches of the tourbillon bridge, a black DLC microbillé sphere with a 5mm diameter, set at 12 o’clock, catches the eye. It displays the days of the watch’s power reserve (1-4). To achieve a balanced effect, the CYRUS logo is set at 6 o’clock.
On observing the dial more closely, we can make out the star of the show (namely the tourbillon, the undisputed protagonist of our watch). It is almost as if it is gracefully twirling on a stage, interacting with a choreography of wheels, gears and hands that sinuously move in unison.
The upper part of the skeleton dial reveals two rhodium-plated barrels, decorated with the typical engraved triangular motifs we recognize in many CYRUS models. The bridges are microbillé with a dark grey NAC galvanic treatment, and the edges are bevelled and polished. The levers of the retrograde system are satin-polished and rhodium plated. The wheels are rhodium-plated and decorated with cerclage, the cams are mirror-polished. The jewels give a touch of colour to the finished item. Nothing has been left to chance!
Every component of the hand-winding manufacture movement, calibre CYR625, with a double-barrel offering more than a 100-hour power reserve, has been painstakingly decorated to give the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON a sophisticated allure.
The “beating heart” of the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON can also be seen from the case back. This reveals the masterful finish executed by the highly skilled master artisans at CYRUS. The grey-colored bridges, thanks to the NAC galvanic treatment, are decorated with a slightly curve sunray pattern and have a microbillé satin finish that contrasts with the polished finish of the edges. The two parallel barrels have black lacquered ratchet-wheels adorned with CYRUS’s signature propeller-like logo, whilst the screw heads are mirror-polished.
All this beauty is enclosed in a cushion-shaped case which has become a defining code of the Maison. It has a diameter of 44 mm, excluding the two crowns set at 3 and 9, another distinctive feature of CYRUS watches. Respectively, the first sets the time and winds the movement, whilst pressing the second, rapidly corrects the hour.
THE KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON is a limited edition manufactured in three versions. Five pieces of each are available: in grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment, in 4N rose gold and a two-tone version in 4N rose gold with black DLC titanium bezel.
The watch is completed with a black alligator leather strap with a folding DLC titanium clasp for the titanium and two-tone versions. The model in 4N rose gold features a brown alligator leather strap, with a gold buckle.
Cyrus Klepcys Vertical Skeleton Tourbillon Technical Specifications
Ref. 539.506.DD.A – titanium black DLC version
Ref. 539.506.GD.A – two-tone version in 4N 18K rose gold and titanium black DLC
Ref. 539.506.GG.A – version in 4N 18K rose gold
- In-house manufactured hand-winding movement, calibre CYR625
- Dimensions: 36.4 mm Ø x 14.4 mm thickness
- Number of parts of the complete movement: 344
- Number of jewels: 51
- Frequency: 3 Hz
- Vibrations per hour: 21,600
- Power reserve: more than 100 hours
- Two parallel barrels with black lacquered ratchet-wheels with the Cyrus logo
- Swiss pallet fork escapement
- Variable-inertia balance wheel
- Bridges: decoration with slightly curved sunray pattern alternating polished and an opaque, sandblasted effect. Grey NAC galvanic treatment on the surfaces.
- Bridge screws with mirror-polished heads
- Material: steel
- Number of parts of the tourbillon cage: 52
- Weight of the cage: 0.706 g.
- Central tourbillon on vertical axis at a 90° angle
- Complete rotation in 1 minute
- Jumping retrograde hours on the left side of the dial
- Sweeping retrograde minutes on the right side of the dial
- Seconds on the tourbillon cage with blocks graduated at 5 second intervals, and 60 seconds highlighted in red
- Power reserve displayed through a sphere set at 12 o’clock (1-4 days)
- New redesigned case made up of 26 parts
- Diameter: 44 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 19,9 mm
- Available in the following materials:
– Grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment
– 4N 18K rose gold
– Two-tone in 4N 18K rose gold and grade 5 titanium with black DLC finish
- Bezel: titanium black DLC on the titanium and two-tone versions, and in 4N 18K rose gold on the gold version
- Crown at 3 o’clock: in position 1, winds the movement; in position, 2 adjusts the time
- Crown at 9 o’clock: hour increment by pressing the pusher
- Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo – black caoutchouc rubber ring decorated with small raised squares
- Sapphire crystal on dial: anti-reflective treatment on both sides, domed and tailor-made, thickness of 1.2 mm
- Case back: transparent with anti-reflective sapphire crystal on one side, fastened with screws customised with the Cyrus logo
- Water resistant to 3 ATM (30 m. – 100 ft.)
- Skeleton dial showcasing the finely decorated elements of the movement placed in a symmetrical position:
– Two parallel barrels at the top (between 12 and 9 and between minutes 00 and 25), rhodium plated with engraved triangle motif
– The visible wheels are rhodium plated and decorated with a cerclage effect
– The bridges which create a perforated triangle (between 9 and 5 and between 20 and 40 minutes) feature a microbillage finish in NAC galvanic black
– The cams are mirror-polished
- Central tourbillon enhanced by a three-dimensional bridge comprising two brass arches with a gold “microbillé” finish, or black DLC treatment, depending on the version, with bevelled, polished edges
- Sweeping retrograde minute arch to the right with “microbillé” finish, featuring Arabic numerals and white indices, trimmed with a golden edge in the gold and two-tone gold/ titanium black DLC versions, and black DLC on the titanium black DLC version.
- Retrograde hour arch to the left with Arabic numerals and white indices, with edging variants as per the minute arch
- Hour/minute hands: new exclusive three-dimensional design – 4N gold plated (on gold and two-tone gold/titanium black DLC versions ) and rhodium plated ( on titanium black DLC version)
- Sphere with 5mm diameter indicating the power reserve (1-4 days), finished with black DLC “microbillage” with golden or white numerals, depending on the version
- In alligator leather
- DLC version: black alligator with folding clasp in titanium black DLC
- Gold version: brown alligator with folding clasp in 4N 18K rose gold
- Two-tone version: black alligator with folding clasp in titanium black DLC
- Clasp customised with the Cyrus logo
Limited Edition of 5 watches per case type