David Candaux is a complete watchmaker. His name is closely related to the Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Mechanica Grande Sonnerie and the MB&F HM6 Space Pirate. But besides his excellent qualities and experience as a master watchmaker for the others, David has his own line of pieces, under his name. Today I will present you David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter Solstice, one of his last watches. I have met David during the Baselworld 2019 and I played with and photographed the watch.
David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter Solstice
I am full of admiration for David. Not only I am impressed by his work but also by his humble and friendly character. More details about him can be found on the Yannick’s Nardin article in FHH Journal. I like, without hesitation, all of his creations, so the DC6 Half Hunter Solstice makes no exception.
David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter was largely covered in the media and I have nothing really intelligent and new to say about it. So I will keep the words for myself and I will let you make your own impressions about this beautiful watch. I will just end the gallery with my conclusions.
Original and Exceptional – David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter Solstice
DC6 Half Hunter is an original concept. The unusual watch’s layout displays all the functions on top. I find the “magic crown” a cool gimmick – it looks great and it feels great. The automotive-inspired power reserve reminds me of the fuel gauges of old cars. The view of the tourbillon makes a nice balance with the domed time display.
One detail after another, I find the watch an exercise of creativity. The exceptional finishes worth a good loupe and some time spent. Every element of the watch has some interesting features that require attention. Down to the level of the strap and buckle. And btw, the watch is so comfortable on the wrist.
David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter Solstice Technical Specifications
Functions and indicators
– Hours and minutes on a separate, domed counter
– Seconds hand via tourbillon cage at 9 o’clock
– Bi-plan tourbillon
– Power reserve indicator at 12 o’clock
– Inclined, manual-winding tourbillon movement
– Dimensions: 16 ¼ lignes (diameter 35 mm x 6.20 mm high)
– Materials: Grade 5 titanium plate and bridges. Untreated titanium and blued titanium for the tourbillon cage
– Going train, wheels and bridges inclined at 3 degrees to the horizontal (patent-pending design).
– Double winding barrel with 55 hours power reserve
– Stainless steel, mirror-polished power reserve bridge
– Frequency: 21,600 vph (3Hz)
– Number of jewels: 47, with polished sinks and gold chatons
– Number of parts: 287
– Finest traditional watchmaking craft with hand-made chamfering and anglage, hand-polishing, flanks brushing and unique Côtes du Solliat effect
Escapement and going train
– Single-axis, titanium bi-plan flying tourbillon at 9 o’clock: with cage inclined 3 degrees in relation to the horizontal, balance inclined at 30 degrees in relation to the cage
– Variable inertia balance
– Breguet overcoil spring with Philips terminal curve
– Cascade effect-profiled titanium movement
– Constant energy supply by a double barrel
– Power reserve indication by conic camshaft system
– Secret and retractable, unlocking via pressure
– 3 positions: neutral, reset and winding
– 31 parts.
Front bezel, watch face
– Semi-spherical hours and minutes dials
– 18K high palladium content white gold indexes chamfered and polished by hand
– Grade 5 titanium decorated with engine-turned Pointe du Risoux
– Hours: conical and curved, dagger-shaped, in natural steel, chamfered, polished and blued by hand
– Minutes: conical and curved, dagger-shaped, in natural steel, chamfered, polished and blued by hand
– Central seconds: in flame-blued 18K white gold, chamfered and polished by hand
– Power reserve: dagger-shaped, in 18K white gold, chamfered and polished by hand
– Asymmetric, bassinet-shaped
– Grade-5 titanium
– Diameter: 43 mm
– Total thickness: 12.60 mm
– 2 semi-spherical sapphire windows and 1 anti-reflective glass; sapphire case back
– Caseback with clipped olivette at 6 o’clock
– Fine satin-finishing and hand executed polishing
– Guaranteed water-resistant to 30 meters
– Made of large scale alligator leather
– Entirely hand-made
– Pin buckle
– In stainless steel 316L and titanium