On the occasion of Miami Watches & Wonders, De Bethune presents a USA Exclusive: The iconic “DB28 Kind of Blue”, now available with an elegant Pink Gold case. Only 10 numbered timekeepers, reserved exclusively for American clients, will be produced.
Miami, February 12th 2019
Miami. The Magic City. The omnipresent blue. The Atlantic, with shades ranging from turquoise along the beaches to open water blue in the distance. Downtown, with the deep blue waters of the canals and marinas. And the sky. The entire city is bathed in all hues of blue. It is no coincidence that De Bethune chose the famous DB28 Kind of Blue to celebrate the second edition of the Miami Watches & Wonders event.
The famous De Bethune blue. A colour linked to the notion of infinity and harmony. As a tribute to this integral element of its identity, De Bethune unveils in Miami its iconic DB28 Kind of Blue timekeeper in a two-tone version with a case made of pink gold, creating a magical wholeness. A premiere for a very exclusive limited edition of 10 numbered timepieces destined only for clients in the US.
The hand and the fire
For its own blue, De Bethune uses a special technique that consists in tinting the surface by oxidizing it. It is based on a heat treatment invented in the 16th century to protect steel surfaces against corrosion. An expression of watchmaking excellence, it requires that each component first to be meticulously polished before it is flame-heated by hand to create a natural, even and durable protective film while increasing the hardness of the component.
A number of fundamental inventions
On the inside, the mechanical calibre with manual winding is fully visible and integrates several fundamental technical inventions. The patented spherical moon-phase is positioned at 6 o’clock. Made of steel and palladium, it offers precision that varies by only one lunar day every 122 years.
At the heart of the watch, the high-performance escapement developed by De Bethune presents a silicon annular balance, encircled by a white gold ring and a balance-spring with a flat terminal curve that is exclusive to De Bethune. It is protected by a triple pare-chute shock-absorbing system. Power is accumulated and distributed through two self-regulating barrels, also developed by De Bethune. The power reserve indicator can be read on the back of the plate, which is decorated with special concentric graining. All the finishes are done by hand with a motion work bridge in polished titanium, bridges with “Côtes De Bethune” decoration and rose-work grinding on the barrel ratchets. The hours are indicated by skeleton hands on arrow pointers made of rose gold.
At once supreme and vibrant, the DB28 Kind of Gold, USA Limited Edition emits a singular radiance from the very material from which they are made. It truly advocates in favour of a colour that casts a magical spell.
De Bethune DB28 Kind Of Gold USA Technical Specifications
Name: DB28 Kind of Gold, USA Limited Edition
Vintage: Production limited to 10 numbered pieces
Functions: Hours, Minutes, Spherical moon phase at 6 o’clock. Power reserve on the case back, Performance indicator between 2 and 3 o’clock
Type: Mechanical hand-wound movement
Adjustment: Using the crown (2 positions) for winding, and setting the time
Using a corrector for the spherical moon phase
Technical features of calibre DB2115
Number of parts: 297
Jewelling: 39 jewels
Diameter: 30 mm
Power reserve: 6 days, ensured by a self-regulating twin barrel De Bethune Innovation (2004)
- Titanium balance wheel with white gold inserts optimised for temperature differences and air penetration De Bethune Patent (2016)
- “De Bethune” balance-spring with flat terminal curve De Bethune Patent (2006)
- Silicon escape wheel
- Spherical moon phase indicator with a precision of one lunar day every 122 years – De Bethune Patent (2004)
- Blued triple pare-chute shock-absorbing system De Bethune Innovation (2005)
Frequency: 28,800 vibrations per hour
- Handmade, blued grade 5 mirror-polished titanium motion works bridge
- Plate cover and bridge cover on the barrel in grade 5 blued titanium, adorned with “Côtes De Bethune”
- Barrels decorated with rose-work grinding
- Power reserve indicator in grade 5 titanium, hand decorated with “De Bethune” concentric graining and blued by hand
- Steel parts bevelled, polished and flame-blued by hand
- 5N Rose gold hands
- Spherical moon phase indicator in rose gold and flame-blued steel with a precision of one lunar day every 122 years at 6 o’clock – De Bethune Patent (2004)
- Performance indicator between 2 and 3 o’clock
- Blued grade 5 polished titanium hours ring with rose gold hour-markers
- Blued grade 5 satin-polished titanium minutes ring
Case and strap
Case material: 5N Rose gold
Case diameter: 43 mm
Case thickness: 9.30 mm
Lugs: Short or long floating lugs in blued grade 5 mirror-polished titanium – De Bethune Patent (2006)
Crystal: Sapphire (1800 Vickers hardness), with double anti-reflective coating
Case back: Screwed case back in blued grade 5 polished titanium that opens on a linear power reserve indicator in rose gold Sapphire crystal (1800 Vickers hardness) with double anti-reflective coating
Water resistance: 3 ATM
Strap: Extra-supple alligator leather, alligator lining
Buckle: Buckle in blued grade 5 mirror-polished titanium and ardillon in 5N rose gold