Hanhart is going back to the roots of its most famous chronograph by launching the new 417 ES 1954 in the original case size of 39 mm.
Sturdiness, reliability, and readability. It is according to these three principles that Hanhart manufactures the 417 as the first pilot’s chronograph for the newly founded German armed forces. Hanhart supplied the Bundeswehr with the original model for almost ten years, until the brand shifted its focus to the production of handheld stop-watches from 1963 onwards. The few surviving examples of the historic 417 have since become sought-after vintage chronographs for collectors.
After the successful debut of the 417 ES with a 42 mm case almost two years ago, the long-established brand from Gütenbach, situated in the Black Forest, is now focused upon capturing the essence of the watch. The new 417 ES 1954 – with ‘ES’ standing for ‘Edelstahl’ (German for stainless steel) and ‘1954’ noting the model’s very first year of production – marks the return of Hanhart’s most legendary chrono-graph in its historically correct size of 39 mm as part of the official, non-limited collection.
In a way, the watch also acts as a time machine, as it combines the style-defining details of the past with contemporary state-of-the-art materials. Particularly refined are the sharp, highly polished chamfers, that mark the transition from the satin-finished lugs to the sides. As a typical Hanhart design element, the fluted bezel rotates smoothly in both directions. Its red position marker is just as reminiscent of the historical model as the details on the dial of the watch. The bi-compax layout and the lettering seem to be the spitting image of the early 417. The numbers, fonts and the logo from the old days have all been revived.
To ensure precision and reliability, the chronograph is equipped with the trusty hand-wound calibre SW510 with ‘Swiss Made’ quality. In addition to stop-seconds, it offers a 58-hour power reserve when fully wound. The historic 417 was likewise manually wound, although its range of action outside the cockpit was severely limited due to its low water resistance. The new 417 ES 1954 is water-resistant up to 10 bar.
A black calfskin ´Bund´-style strap ensures a high level of comfort from the very beginning. In addition, Alcantara lining promises a particularly pleasant feeling to the skin. A stainless-steel pin buckle featuring the historic Hanhart logo secures the watch to the wrist.
The new Hanhart 417 ES 1954 is priced at 1.980,00 Euro including VAT.
Hanhart 417 ES 1954 Technical Specifications
Ref. 417 ES 1954 – 1,980.00 Euro incl. 19% German VAT
- Small second
- 30-minute counter
- Bicompax Chronograph with central stop-second
- Manual wound chronograph
- Sellita SW 510 M
- Symmetrical button arrangement
- 28.800 A/h, 4 Hz, 23 jewels
- Power reserve minimum 58 hours after full winding
- Stainless steel, satined/polished
- Diameter 39 mm, Height with glass 13.5 mm (11,55 mm without glass)
- Crown with the historic Hanhart “h”
- Fluted rotating bezel, continuously rotatable, with red marking
- Anti-reflective convex sapphire glass High-domed sapphire glass
- Screwed-down stainless steel case back
- Water resistant to 10 bar/10 ATM according to DIN 8310
- Continuous serial number
- Shockproof with Hanhart movement protection
- Antimagnetic up to 16.000 A/m according to DIN 8309
- Engraving of the historical logo on the case back
Dial & Hands
- Historical Logo
- Super-LumiNova® Light Old Radium coated numerals and hand
- Minute and Second hand bent at tip to prevent parallax errors
Strap & Buckle
- Black calfskin strap with white stitching and leather underlay
- Alcantara on the inside
- Pin-buckle with historical logo, Lug width 20 mm
As a pioneer in the development of wristwatch chronographs and stopwatches, Han-hart plays a major role in the history of the German watch industry. Thanks to its passion for technical inventiveness, Hanhart continues to place the highest demands on itself today and is guided by the following maxims: precision and reliability, perfect readability and simple, safe operation as well as the best possible robustness. Since 1882, the watch manufacturer has been producing timepieces that combine perfection with unmistakable design. The development, production and distribution of the mechanical watches are located in Gütenbach in the Black Forest in Germany.