Created in 1978 by Henri d’Origny, the Arceau watch mingles understatement with distinctiveness. Its round case with asymmetrical stirrup-shaped lugs and sloping Arabic numerals evoking a galloping horse endow it with timeless elegance.
Hermès Arceau Petite Lune is lit up by 87 sapphires and 68 diamonds set in «Jeté» from the 38 mm steel case to the natural white mother-of-pearl dial. As if blown in by a gentle breeze, the azure blue stones surround a mischievous Moon sparkling against a deep blue sky dotted with stars. The mischievous night star, designed by Franco-German artist Édouard Baribeaud for the Hermès silk scarf titled Acte III, Scène I, la Clairière…, is freely inspired by Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
Swept over by slender hands, the lunar glow of the mother-of-pearl is enlivened by random setting and stretches to the pointer-type date and sloping numerals at 6 o’clock. The whole fascinating performance is choreographed by the Manufacture Hermès H1837 sel f-winding movement complete with a Petite Lune module and driving the hours, minutes, date as well as the moon phase appearing between 10 and 11 o’clock. A sapphire blue alligator strap, crafted in accordance with the saddlery-leathermaking skills of the Maison, adorns this watch entirely designed in the Hermès watchmaking workshops.
Hermès Arceau Petite Lune Technical Specifications
- Manufacture Hermès H1837 movement
- Mechanical self-winding, crafted in Switzerland
- Diameter: 26mm (11 ½’’’)
- Thickness: 3.7mm
- Power reserve: 50 hours
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4Hz)
- Functions: Hours, minutes, date at 6 o’clock, moon phase
- between 10 and 11 o’clock
- Module: Petite Lune (small moon)
- Shape/size: Round, 38 mm in diameter
- Material: Stainless steel. “Scattering of diamonds and sapphires”
- Setting: 22 blue sapphires and 10 diamonds.
- Crown: Set with 1 diamond
- Crystal: Sapphire crystal and case-back with anti-glare treatment
- Water resistance: 3 bar
- Natural white mother-of-pearl dial set with 65 blue sapphires and 58 diamonds.
- Moon-phase indicator with a blue background and rhodium-plated decor.
- Sapphire blue alligator