Water erosion traces the ongoing impact of Nature on Earth’s substance; fluid time by HYT tracks an unrelenting path through the past, present and future. The new HYT H5 Blue turns to the colour blue to make its mark on an essentially contemporary concept of time. Using a design language focused on three-dimensionality and transparency, this timepiece reveals time’s passage in the form of a vivid azure liquid. Running steadily through a fine capillary, the fluid frames a multi-layered horological masterpiece where movement is the constant.
The harmony of diversity
Mechanical and fluidic innovation join forces in a propriety calibre, the 501. Two years of development went into a mechanism where opposites attract and harmoniously interact. Layer by layer, element by element, the essence and relevance of time are revealed in a beautiful visual theatre. After all, HYT is an established master at enabling art and science to share the same stage.
In the unique movement, a hand-winding unit sets a consistent pace. This releases precisely the right amount of energy for two contrasting immiscible liquids to represent the recent past, the present and the near future. Visible through the see-through sapphire case back, an intricately shaped cam offers thirteen different possibilities to adjust and index the hour and minute indications, ensuring they operate as one. An over-sized, curved lever connects the movement’s collaborating elements. This orchestrates a complex chain reaction, whereby the calibre pushes against a regulating bellow four times thinner than a human hair to launch time’s next twelve-hour journey.
Dynamism in detail
The new H5 variation by HYT combines an array of shades of grey – from anthracite on the hour ring and flange, to a gun-metal bridge – with dynamic coloured accents. This punctuates the layered look and highlights the core message that each tiny element of the whole is vital to seamless dynamic performance. A sense of vibrancy is heightened by white Super-LumiNova® under the blue liquid that shows elapsed time, and the neoralite hour ring. A bright red arc and a black hand, matching that of the second counter, distinguish the power reserve. Just as erosion is Nature’s storyteller, fluidity is the storyteller of time itself.
The blue edition of H5 by HYT comes in a limited edition of 25 pieces.
Time is fluid
HYT was born of a question. Time flows and only gains meaning through content. So why limit its measurement to indicating the now in splendid isolation, with needle-sharp hands or fleeting digital displays? Determined that its rebellion should make statements and waves, a multi-disciplinary think-tank set out to create timepieces that visibly connect the past, present and future. The HYT answer is a watch that overcomes the force of gravity to indicate the passage of time with liquids. Highly advanced technology took its cue from philosophy to mirror time’s intrinsic fluidity.
The rest is history. To be precise, it’s history that began 3,400 years ago with the Clepsydras, or water clocks, of the Pharaohs. These so-called “water thieves” transported H2O from one container to another to measure elapsed or “stolen” time. This meaningful visualization of the transition of time seemingly disappeared until 2012, when HYT broke new scientific ground, inventing a wristwatch integrating a patented fluidic module. A coloured liquid documents the recent past; a transparent fluid indicates the foreseeable future. Their meeting point is a meniscus, aka the now.
Today HYT is an ecosystem that unites science, hi-technology, philosophy, art and design. Based in Neuchâtel, at the heart of the traditional Swiss watchmaking region, a dedicated team of 43 individuals makes liquid time real time. Their radical wristwatches harmoniously incorporate a mechanical watch movement as the trigger to the fluid propulsion. They make total sense of time – time and time again.
HYT H5 Blue Technical Specifications
Ref.: H02352 – Limited edition 25 pieces
- Blue fluidic hours
- Minutes, seconds, power reserve
- Stainless steel, satin finishes
- Diameter: 48.8mm
- Height: 20.08mm
- Stainless steel crown
- Domed sapphire crystal
- Screwed case-back, sapphire crystal, “one of twenty-five” print
- Water-resistant to 50 meters
HYT’s exclusive patented micro-fluidic module
- Borosilicate glass capillary tube, nano-coating interior
- Multi-layer metal bellows
- Two immiscible liquids; one transparent, the other one colored with a highly resistant dye
- Thermal compensator with dedicated bellow and specific liquid
- High-tech ceramic fluidic restrictors
- Mechanical with manual winding, exclusive caliber
- 28,800 Vph, 4 Hz, 41 jewels
- Rhodium thinly-sandblasted bridges
- 65-hour power reserve
- Transmission between movement and fluidic module by conversion of rotation into linear movement using a cam-follower system
- Isostatic connection of the fluidic system guaranteed by a trident
- Anthracite neoralite hour ring with white Super-LumiNova®
- Anthracite hour flange with white numerals
- White Super-LumiNova® rail under the capillary
- Minute counter with black index and numerals, black minute hand with white Super-LumiNova®
- Seconds flange with black hand
- Power reserve flange with black hand
- Grey rubber, titanium folding buckle
Be the first to comment