The Portugieser Hand-Wound Tourbillon combines timeless, iconic Portugieser design with a stunning flying minute tourbillon at 6 o’clock. Powered by the newly developed IWC-manufactured hand-wound 81905 calibre with an 84-hour power reserve, this extraordinary timepiece features a case made of 18-carat Armor Gold® and a silver-plated dial.
The tourbillon is one of the most outstanding achievements in the art of watchmaking. The balance, pallet lever and escape wheel are placed in a tiny cage that rotates around its axis. This constant rotation helps offset the effect of gravity on the watch’s oscillating system while creating a visual spectacle on the dial. The flying tourbillon is a beautiful variation of the tourbillon. Rather than being supported by an upper bridge, the cage is held exclusively from one side, enabling an even better view of the inner workings of this delicate mechanism.
In the Portugieser Hand-Wound Tourbillon, the flying minute tourbillon has been placed at 6 o’clock. It consists of 56 individual parts and weighs only 0.635 grams. Thanks to the tourbillon stop, the mechanism can be brought to a complete halt, allowing the wearer to set the watch with down-to-the-second accuracy. In addition, the pallet lever and escape wheel have been coated with Diamond Shell® technology. The smooth diamond coating on the silicone parts reduces friction. In combination with the optimised geometry of these parts, the coating improves the flow of energy in the movement.
Powering this timepiece is the IWC-manufactured 81905 calibre, which has been developed especially for this model. The movement consists of 159 individual parts and is wound manually, housing a power reserve of 84 hours in its mainspring. Through the sapphire crystal case back, one can admire the elaborate decoration on the bridges and the solid gold medallion with the “Probus Scafusia” inscription.
The case of this exclusive IWC Portugieser is made of 18-carat Armor Gold®. Thanks to a modified microstructure, this innovative new material boasts significantly higher hardness values than traditional gold alloys. In addition, the appliquéd Arabic numerals and feuille hands in gold harmonise beautifully with the silver-plated dial.
Fitted with a black alligator leather strap* from the Italian shoe manufacturer Santoni, the Portugieser HandWound Tourbillon is available immediately through IWC boutiques, authorised retail partners or online at IWC.com. In addition, the timepiece is eligible for registration under the My IWC care program and can benefit from a 6-year extension to the standard 2-year International Limited Warranty.
* IWC Schaffhausen only uses alligator leather which is fully compliant with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES is the name of a convention and an international organisation, both of which aim to control international trade in animals and plants to ensure that their survival is not endangered. In line with the relevant national and international standards and conventions, all alligator leather used by IWC complies with the CITES convention and is solely derived from alligator farms. Accordingly, IWC does not process any leather from endangered species and only works with leather from alligators reared on farms. The watch manufacturer only uses alligator leather from US farms for its exclusive leather straps. The farmers collect the alligators’ eggs each summer, then they incubate the eggs and raise the hatchlings. After a year or two, 17 per cent of these alligators are then released into the swamps. This equates to the percentage of eggs that would be most likely to be produced by alligators capable of surviving in the wild. This process ensures the survival of the species.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All our leather products and straps sold in California comply with the legal provisions stipulated by the State of California
IWC Portugieser Hand-Wound Tourbillon Technical Specifications
- Mechanical movement – flying hacking minute tourbillon at 6 o’clock – See-through sapphire-glass back
- IWC-manufactured calibre: 81905
- Frequency: 28,800 vph / 4 Hz
- Jewels: 20
- Power reserve: 84 h
- Winding : Hand-wound
- Materials: 18-carat Armor Gold® case, silver-plated dial, gold-plated hands, 5N gold appliqués, Santoni black alligator leather strap , 5N gold folding clasp
- Glass: Sapphire, convex, anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Water-resistant: 6 bar
- Diameter: 42.4 mm
- Height: 10.8 mm