For the first time, the Grande Seconde Off-Centered Chronograph is equipped with an onyx dial. Deep and natural, this unique mineral allows the delicate composition designed by Jaquet Droz to subtly stand out.
Music, architecture, painting, sculpture: the major arts are all based on the same principle of balance. Music alternates between notes and rests. Architecture and sculpture between matter and void. Painting between color and shadow. Indeed, artwork rests on a subtle harmony between what the human hand expresses and where nature is given free rein.
The new Grande Seconde Off-Centered Chronograph is no exception. Created in 2019, the piece is now offered with an onyx dial for the very first time. It joins the long tradition of mineral dials—a Jaquet Droz signature. Through its intensity—its absolute blackness—onyx grants the piece unprecedented depth. Like a treasure from nature, the perfect black color of this precious mineral allows Jaquet Droz to design a composition from which the smallest detail and slightest reflection can be admired. Such is the case with the hour markers, off-center at 1 o’clock, whose fine white gold appliqué features a circular satin finish. The hands are mirror polished, while those of the chronograph and date are polished. The large central seconds is equipped with an openwork counterweight, and the date with a solid counterweight, evoking a full moon or new moon against a black backdrop like the vastness of space itself.
Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Off-Centered Chronograph Technical Specifications
- Jaquet Droz 26M5R,
- Monopusher chronograph,
- Self-winding mechanical movement,
- Silicon balance spring and pallet horns,
- Single barrel,
- Column wheel,
- 18-karat red gold oscillating weight
- Off-centred hours and minutes at 1 o’clock.
- Centred chronograph seconds.
- Chronograph 30-minute subdial at 7 o’clock.
- The off-centered retrograde date at 7 o’clock.
- 34 jewels
- 40 hours
- 21,600 v.p.h.
- Stainless steel case, crown push-button.
- Diameter 43 mm.
- Height 14.83 mm.
- Individual serial number engraved on the case-back.
- 43 mm
- To 3 bar (30 meters)
- Black onyx dial with 18-karat white gold applique
- Date with lacquered red tip.
- Rolled-edge hand-made black alligator
- Stainless steel folding clasp