With this refined and colourful summer creation, the Petite Heure Minute Smalta Clara Hummingbird, Jaquet Droz demonstrates its mastery of plique-à-jour enamelling, a technique that demands a rare dexterity for a naturalistic, lively and unique composition.
Precious and dreamlike: the new Petite Heure Minute Smalta Clara Hummingbird shines with individuality and delicacy, drawing collectors in to appreciate the technical mastery of its gold partitions. With this creation, Jaquet Droz has established itself as one of the rare artisanal ateliers to use the ancestral technique of plique-à-jour enamelling which first appeared 1500 years ago and can be compared to a miniature stained-glass window.
Different to the art of cloisonné or champlevé, it consists of applying the enamel to bottomless moulds. A gold dial with partitions of different shapes and sizes is created. Each empty space is filled with different colours of enamel before undergoing several successive firings. Each passage in the oven gives the enamel its colour and density, yet with the constant risk that only a few degrees hotter will break it. Just like a miniature stained-glass window, this plique-à-jour process results in a perfectly transparent enamel that plays with light, shadows and reflections, and which gives the motif featured as much volume as it does life.
Today, this motif is a hummingbird crafted in a subtle gradient of green. Jaquet Droz created no less than seven different shades to express its summery and joyful vision of this famous bird. By choosing the Petite Heure Minute as its canvas and with an off-centred dial at two o’clock, the House offers the hummingbird a large space where it can express the richness of its tones and the virtuosity of the plique-à-jour (smalta clara in Latin).
Part of a numerus clausus limited edition of only eight pieces, this is a rare and refined piece set with 100 diamonds on the bezel and pallet lugs, featuring a mother-of-pearl dial, and a case measuring 35 mm which sits on a hand-embroidered green satin strap.
“Some watches tell time. Some tell a Story”
Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Smalta Clara Hummingbird Technical Specifications
- 18-karat white gold dial with “plique-à-jour” Grand Feu enamel and white mother-of-pearl with 18-karat white gold applique.
- Jaquet Droz 6150, self-winding mechanical movement, silicon balance spring and pallet horns, platinum oscillating weight with 18-karat red gold applique.
- Individual limited edition serial number engraved on the oscillating weight
- Off-centred hours and minutes
- 29 jewels
- 38 hours
- 21,600 v.p.h.
- 18-karat red gold case set with 100 diamonds (0.89 carat)
- Diameter Ø 35 mm
- Height 10.83 mm
- Water resistance: To 3 bar (30 meters)
- Total carat weight:
- IF to VVSI, Full Cut, D to G
- Total number of diamonds: 100 diamonds
- Total carat weight: 0.89 carat
- 18-karat white gold dial with “plique-à-jour” Grand Feu enamel, white mother-of-pearl subdial
- 18-karat red gold applied ring
- Hands: 18-karat red gold
Strap & Buckle
- Rolled-edge hand-made green satin strap
- Buckle: 18-karat red gold ardillon