After more than a year overshadowed by widespread gloom, there has never been a greater need for a little escape. With this in mind, Laurent Ferrier has revisited his École Annual Calendar, venturing into the field of colour. Resplendent in blue and orange, the Laurent Ferrier École Annual Calendar Navy Série Atelier II is offered in a limited edition of only ten pieces, each of them numbered and engraved as “Série Atelier II”.
LF switches to summertime.
This most recent creation is housed in the École-shaped case of the Maison. The name derives from the case made by Laurent during his studies at watchmaking school, which inspired him to create a new version, many years later.
The two-zone blue dial of this new reference features a contrasting vertical satin-brushed centre, and circular satin-brushed hour ring. Blue, often associated with dreams and peace of mind, but also a symbol of the sky and sea, is ultimately a colour widely used in both traditional and contemporary watchmaking. Here, it is the product of a galvanic metal treatment process. One of Laurent’s favourites, most of his collection showcases this colour. As always with Laurent Ferrier timepieces, the intensity of the colour varies with the light. Shades are at times dark and captivating, while at others, clear and refreshing, while further enhanced by intense reflections.
In the wake of its big brother, the Grand Sport Tourbillon, the École Annual Calendar Navy offers a more contemporary and sporting appearance compared to earlier versions. Quintessentially associated with aviation or the navy, vibrant orange here adorns the 18K white gold hands, providing the timepiece with optimal legibility and a compelling look.
The École Annual Calendar Navy boasts a long list of features which together make it a unique timepiece. The time is indicated with LF iconic hands stamped in “Assegais” shape. A snailed small seconds dial placed at 6 o’clock gives character to the composition, while two bevelled apertures, positioned at 12 o’clock, display the day and the month. Finally, the date is indicated by a hand coated in white accompanied by vintage-inspired numerals, on the edge of the dial. The whole offers the full array of information required for daily life while remaining uncluttered and with no unnecessary adornment.
A useful complication
As the name suggests, this watch is equipped with an annual calendar. This complication recognises months with 30 and 31 days, progressing automatically to the 1st of the month as appropriate. Manual adjustment is required only once a year, on the 1st of March. The day display is easily set through a pusher on the left side of the case, at 10 o’clock. All the other settings are easily controlled by a pull of the crown and rotating it accordingly, with no need for any tools.
The latest edition of the “école” case
The École case, inspired by Laurent’s studies while a younger man, also pays tribute to period pocket watches, from the time when pioneer watchmakers began transforming them into wristwatches. The “Série Atelier II” will be the last reissue of this case, since Laurent Ferrier has decided to realign his collection by focusing on iconic cases: the Classic, the Square and the Grand Sport.
As always, the “ball”-shaped crown, the emblematic signature of the Maison, offers all the ease of a smooth and very pleasant winding.
The calibre 126.01 is at the heart of the “Série Atelier II”. This hand-wound movement incorporates a Swiss lever escapement and offers a power reserve of up to 80 hours. The power reserve indicator is placed on the movement and visible on the caseback. Much appreciated by purists, the long-blade ratchet, characteristic of LAURENT FERRIER manual movements, here boasts a polished bassiné finish, handcrafted in the brand’s own workshops.
LAURENT FERRIER is renowned for unmatched finishes. The sapphire crystal on the back of the École Annual Calendar Navy reveals both the mechanism and the finesse of its state-of-the-art manual finishes, carried out according to the most demanding criteria of traditional fine watchmaking. Each bridge is adorned with spotless Côtes de Genève decoration, and ruthenium plating. The plate is embellished with beading while the edges and inner edges are chamfered and then polished by hand, just like the screw heads. The art of watchmaking in its purest form.
The École Annual Calendar Navy is presented on a hand-sewn bracelet in orange or navy Nubuck leather (based on your choice) with a navy Alcantara lining.
Designed to be worn on any occasion, the “Série Atelier II” limited edition of only ten pieces will be available exclusively from Atelier LAURENT FERRIER on their website via the following address: shop.laurentferrier.ch
Laurent Ferrier École Annual Calendar Navy Série Atelier II Technical Specifications
Série Atelier II – Limited edition of 10 pieces Ref: LCF025.AC.C2WO
- Manual-winding LF126.01 calibre
- Swiss lever escapement
- Screw balance
- Indicators: central hours and minutes. Small seconds at 6 o’clock, power reserve indicator on the movement side. Date:
- Central hands for the date
- Day disc and month disc (automatic adjustment for 30- and 31-day months). Only one correction necessary on 1 March)
- Semi-instantaneous calendar. Semi-instantaneous counters for days and months.
- Clockwise and anti-clockwise calendar adjustment in the middle position
- Diameter: Ø 31.60 mm (14’’’)
- Thickness: 5.80 mm
- Frequency: 3Hz (21,600 vibrations/hour)
- Power reserve: 80 hours
- Number of components: 235
- Number of jewels: 23
- Stainless steel
- Dimension: Ø 40 mm diameter
- Thickness: 10mm (12.64 mm on sapphire)
- Water resistant to 30 metres
- Crown: stainless steel “Boule”-shaped
- Galvanic blue vertical satin-brushed in the centre and circular satin-brushed hour ring
- Vintage-inspired date numerals and grey powder-coated hour ring and “31” in light blue
- Small seconds at 6 o’clock, with circular satin-brushed outer ring and fine azurage in the centre
- Bevelled counters for days and months at 12 o’clock
- 18K/750 white gold 210 Pd
- Hour and minute: orange-coated, ”Assegai”-shaped
- Seconds: orange-coated, “Baton”-type
- White-coated, ”Assegai”-shaped date
- Choice of hand-sewn navy or orange Nubuck leather, navy Alcantara lining
- Stainless steel pin buckle