The LANGE 1 TIME ZONE keeps track of the time at home and of the time in another zone. In commemoration of the 25th birthday of the LANGE 1, A. Lange & Söhne presents a 25-watch limited edition in white gold with blued-steel hands for frequent travellers and cosmopolites – the A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Time Zone “25th Anniversary”.
In our globalised world, watches with several time zones rank among the most useful complications. GMT timepieces indicate the time in a further zone which needs to be remembered. A world-time watch simultaneously tells the time in several zones. Which may lead to confusion. Conversely, the LANGE 1 TIME ZONE provides a clearly legible double time indication with a city ring that simplifies the setting of a second time zone.
While the large numerals circle shows home time, the small circle indicates the time in a second time zone. Each of the 24 time zones is represented by a city name on the peripheral city ring. A golden arrow at 5 o’clock points at the name of the city that represents the currently displayed time zone. Actuated 24 times, the corrector at 8 o’clock travels around the entire world in an easterly direction. Every switching cycle advances the hour hand of the small subsidiary dial by one hour.
The dual day/night indication provides extra orientation. Each of the two time circles features a small arrow-shaped hand. The bright/dark segments tell the user whether it is day or night, separately for home time and for the second time zone.
A refined synchronisation mechanism makes it possible to swap the zone time on the subsidiary dial to the large dial – a unique feature. It is particularly convenient during longer stays abroad when zone time becomes the home time. The global launch of the LANGE 1 TIME ZONE in 2005 was accompanied by the tagline “Born in Saxony – at home around the world”. It takes on a double meaning here.
Silver and blue are the colours that dominate the “25th Anniversary” edition of the LANGE 1 TIME ZONE. The 41.9-millimetre white-gold case is combined with an argenté-coloured dial, thermally blued screws, and blue inscriptions – including the outsize date. A blue alligator leather strap with a white-gold prong buckle completes the stringent colour concept.
Finished to the highest standards, the manually wound calibre L031.1 features a twin mainspring barrel with a power reserve of three days. The sapphire-crystal caseback exposes the three-quarter plate with the wheel train that powers the zone-time ensemble. Further quality hallmarks include four screwed gold chatons, a screw balance with a classic whiplash precision index adjuster as well as manually engraved intermediate wheel and balance cocks. The intermediate wheel cock is graced with a blue line engraving with the anniversary number 25: Its typography and shape correspond to the Lange outsize date. It is the shared attribute of all models of the ten-watch “25th Anniversary” collection.
Models of the “25th Anniversary” collection launched so far
- LANGE 1, Ref. 191.066, 250 watches, January 2019 (SIHH)
- GRAND LANGE 1 MOON PHASE, Ref. 139.066, 25 watches, February 2019
- LITTLE LANGE 1, Ref. 181.066, 25 watches, March 2019
- LANGE 1 TOURBILLON PERPETUAL CALENDAR, Ref. 720.066, 25 watches, April 2019
- LANGE 1 TIME ZONE, Ref. 116.066, 25 watches, May 2019
About A. Lange & Söhne
Dresden watchmaker Ferdinand Adolph Lange laid the cornerstone of Saxony’s precision watchmaking industry when he established his manufactory in 1845. His precious pocket watches remain highly coveted among collectors all over the world. The company was expropriated after World War II, and the name A. Lange & Söhne nearly vanished. In 1990, Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s great-grandson Walter Lange had the courage to make a new start. Today, Lange crafts only a few thousand wristwatches in gold or platinum per year. They are endowed exclusively with proprietary movements that are lavishly decorated and assembled by hand. With 63 manufacture calibres developed since 1994, A. Lange & Söhne has secured a top-tier position in the world of watchmaking. Brand icons such as the LANGE 1 with the first outsize date in a regularly produced wristwatch and the ZEITWERK with its precisely jumping numerals display rank among the company’s greatest successes. Sophisticated complications such as the ZEITWERK MINUTE REPEATER, the TOURBOGRAPH PERPETUAL “Pour le Mérite” and the TRIPLE SPLIT reflect the manufactory’s determination to achieve ever new pinnacles in horological artistry.
LANGE 1 TIME ZONE “25TH ANNIVERSARY” Ref. 116.066
- Lange manufacture calibre L031.1,
- manually wound, crafted to the most exacting Lange quality standards,
- decorated and assembled by hand; precision-adjusted in five positions;
- twin mainspring barrel;
- plates and bridges made of untreated German silver;
- balance cock and intermediate wheel cock engraved by hand and filled with blue
- Movement parts: 417
- No. of jewels: 54
- Screwed gold chatons: 4
- Escapement: Lever escapement
- Shock-resistant screw balance,
- frequency 21,600 semi-oscillations per hour,
- whiplash precision index adjuster with beat-adjustment system
Power reserve: 72 hours when fully wound
- Home time with day/night indicator (hours, minutes, small seconds with stop seconds),
- zone time (hours, minutes) with day/night indicator and city ring,
- outsize date for home time, UP/DOWN power-reserve indicator
- Crown for winding the watch and setting the time;
- two pushers for switching the outsize date and advancing the city ring
- Diameter: 41.9 millimetres;
- height: 10.9 millimetres
- Diameter: 34.1 millimetres;
- height: 6.7 millimetres
Case: White gold
- Solid silver, argenté;
- gold appliques, rhodiumed
Hands: Blued steel
Glass and caseback: Sapphire crystal (Mohs hardness 9)
- Hand-stitched alligator leather,
- blue with grey contrast seam
Buckle: White-gold prong buckle
Limited edition: 25 watches, engraved 01/25 … 25/25
Price: 49.000 €*
*Recommended retail price in Germany including VAT. Non-binding quotation, prices subject to change.
For more information, please visit the A. Lange & Söhne Website.