Seventy years after the introduction of the iconic compound, Panerai celebrates this legendary material with a special edition of the Luminor Marina – Panerai Luminor Marina Carbotech™ PAM01118.
Seventy years after the birth of Luminor, a substance based on tritium which has the property of self-powered luminescence, officially recognised by the trademark registered in Rome on 26 January 1950, Panerai pays tribute to the past while strongly reaffirming its own particular identity with a new and exciting watch endowed with an indisputable personality: the Luminor Marina Carbotech™ – 44 mm (PAM1118). Guaranteed for 70 years*.
Designed to be sold exclusively in Panerai boutiques throughout the world and produced in an edition limited to 270 units, its particular characteristic strength comes from the use of Super-LumiNova™. A compound of sophisticated quality, now experimented in its application on structural case components external to the dial in a formula of new generation “X1” which provides a higher degree of luminosity as well as persisting longer.
The new Luminor Marina Carbotech™ – 44 mm takes full advantage of its potential luminosity by emphasising its own personality out of all proportion lighting up new details. This treatment, in fact, has been applied not only to the iconic elements of Luminor case such as the bridge protecting the winding-crown and its locking lever, but also to the flange, the inscriptions on the dial and the stitching of the strap.
On the aesthetic front, its non-homogenous texture is due to the Carbotech of which it is made. This unusual compound was introduced into high-quality watchmaking by Panerai. It consists of thin layers of carbon fibres superimposed on each other, orientated alternately (a good seven layers per millimeter), fused together under high-pressure temperature-controlled conditions, and finally further consolidated with an advanced polymer. It is a material remarkable for its mechanical properties, its lightness and its resistance to stress and corrosion.
The traditional mechanism of the Luminor Marina Carbotech™ – 44 mm is a constant component of the Luminor Marina family, the calibre P.9010 movement with automatic winding, entirely designed and developedby the Panerai Manufacture in Neuchâtel. It is fitted with the function for rapidly setting the hour hand, which at the same time automatically adjusts the date. The calibre P.9010 has a power reserve of three days, provided by the twin spring barrels.
Particularly attentive to the technical and mechanical reliability of its timepieces, which has always been an essential, fundamental element of its philosophy, Panerai has taken this to the extreme and extended the guarantee to 70 years. Throughout this period Panerai will maintain the good working order of the client’s watch as necessary under the terms and conditions of the International warranty.
Water-resistant to 30 bar (a depth of about 300 metres), the new Luminor Marina Carbotech™ – 44 mm is fitted with a Panerai Sportech™ strap, black with luminescent stitching and Velcro fastening. A second strap in black rubber with a titanium tongue buckle completes the equipment, together with a tool for changing it and a special box decorated with a luminous image of the Luminor Marina dial on the lid.
* For more information on the extension of the guarantee, see the watch’s Guarantee booklet.
Panerai Luminor Marina Carbotech™ – 44 mm Technical Specifications
Ref. PAM01118 – LIMITED EDITION OF 270 UNITS, EXCLUSIVE TO PANERAI BOUTIQUES
- Automatic mechanical, P.9010 Calibre, 13¾ lignes, 6 mm thick, 200 components, 31 jewels, 28,800 alternations/hour, GlucydurTM balance, IncablocTM anti-shock device, two spring barrels.
- Executed entirely by Panerai.
- Hours, minutes, small seconds, date.
- 3 days.
- In Carbotech, diameter 44 mm, 14.5 mm thick.
- Bezel, winding crown and Safety Lock crown-protecting device (protected by trademark) with luminescent profile.
- Sapphire crystal obtained from corundum.
- 12-sided screw back in titanium with DLC coating, engraved with the words “70 Years Warranty”.
- Black with sunray finish, sandwich structure, with Arabic numerals and hour markers in green Super-LumiNovaTM with green luminescence, luminescent inscriptions “Luminor Marina” and “Panerai”, “Automatic” in white decal. Small seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 3 o’clock.
- Luminous ring round the flange.
- Made of Panerai SportechTM, black with luminescent sewing, with Velcro closure and titanium ring in brushed titanium.
- Additional strap in black rubber with trapezoid titanium clasp buckle.
- 30 bar (~300 metres).