The Patek Philippe Aquanaut Chronograph models for men are enriched by the arrival of the first white-gold version, with a colour scheme of midnight blue or khaki green (Reference 5968G-001 and Reference 5968G-010).
The rich collection of Aquanaut models for men ranges from simple models in steel, rose gold or white gold to those equipped with complications that are useful in everyday life. This year it has acquired a new version of the Patek Philippe Aquanaut Chronograph. A new take on sporty elegance for the modern man.
Aquanaut Chronograph Reference 5968G: the first version in white gold, paired with midnight blue or khaki green
In 2018, Patek Philippe launched the first chronograph to join the men’s Aquanaut collection – a complication ideally suited to this line’s dynamic sporting spirit. Reference 5968 made its debut in a steel model with a black dial mounted on a black strap in a composite material and delivered with a second composite strap in orange (5968A-001).
Now, the manufacture is introducing the first white-gold version of the Aquanaut Chronograph, with either of two colourways for the dial and matching strap: an elegant midnight blue shading to black on the dial (5968G-001) or an audacious khaki green (5968G-010).
A key aesthetic feature is the harmonious integration of the chronograph into the Aquanaut design. The interplay of polished and satin-brushed surfaces on the case, bezel and pushers contribute to the effect. The 60-minute counter at 6 o’clock echoes the bezel’s rounded octagonal shape. The elongated pushers are positioned at 2 and 4 o’clock, either side of the screw-down crown. The chronograph indications (sweep seconds, quarter-second scale, 60-minute counter) stand out in white on the embossed Aquanaut pattern. Legibility is ensured by white-gold applied numerals and large white-gold baton-style hands with a luminescent coating.
This model is equipped with the Patek Philippe calibre CH 28-520 C self-winding flyback chronograph movement uniting tradition (column-wheel control) and innovation (vertical disk clutch). As the clutch is virtually friction-free, the center chronograph hand also functions as a permanent seconds hand. The flyback function allows the user to begin timing a new event while the chronograph is still running, with a simple pressure on the push-piece at 4 o’clock.
The case is a handsome 42.2 mm in diameter and is water-resistant to 120 m. The integrated strap made of an ultra-resistant composite material is fitted with a patented fold-over clasp secured by four independent catches. These two new models join Reference 5968A-001 in steel in the collection.
Patek Philippe Aquanaut Chronograph Technical Specifications
- Calibre CH 28-520 C
- Self-winding mechanical movement. Flyback chronograph with 60-minute counter and date aperture
- Diameter: 30 mm (base movement 30 mm; chronograph module 30 mm)
- Height: 6.63 mm (base movement 5.2 mm; chronograph module 1.43 mm)
- Number of parts: 308
- Number of jewels: 32
- Power reserve: Min. 45 hours / max. 55 hours
- Winding rotor: Central rotor in 21K gold, unidirectional winding
- Frequency: 28 800 semi-oscillations per hour (4 Hz)
- Balance: Gyromax®
- Balance spring: Spiromax® (in Silinvar®)
- Balance spring stud: Adjustable
- Crown functions: Two-positions crown:
• Unscrewed: manual winding
• Pulled out: setting the time
- Displays: By hands:
• Center hours and minutes
• Center chronograph/sweep seconds hand
• Chronograph 60-minute counter at 6 o’clock
- By aperture:
• Date at 3 o’clock
- Corrector: Rapid date correction at 8 o’clock
- Delivered with a setting stylus in black wood and 18K white gold
• Chronograph start and stop at 2 o’clock
• Chronograph reset to zero and flyback function at 4 o’clock
- Hallmark: Patek Philippe Seal
- 18K white gold
- Sapphire-crystal case back
- Screw-down crown
- Water-resistant to 120 m (12 bars)
- Case dimensions: Diameter (10–4 o’clock): 42.2 mm
- Width (9–3 o’clock with crown): 45 mm
- Length (across lugs): 50.1 mm
- Height: 11.9 mm
- Width between lugs: 22 mm
- Brass, with embossed sunburst decoration and PVD coating in blue shading to black (5968G-001) or embossed decoration varnished in khaki green (5968G-010)
- Applied Arabic numerals in 18K white gold with a Superluminova® luminescent coating
- Applied hour markers in 18K white gold with a Superluminova® luminescent coating
- Baton-style hour and minute hands in 18K white gold with a Superluminova® luminescent coating
- Arrow-style chronograph/sweep seconds hand with counterpoise, in white-lacquered steel
- Baton-style hand in white-lacquered brass on the 60-minute chronograph counter
- Composite material, ultra-resistant to water, ultraviolet radiation and wear, with raised checkerboard pattern matching that of the dial
- Patented fold-over clasp in 18K white gold, secured by four independent catches