Vacheron Constantin is preparing, in force, for the SIHH 2019: fifteen complications and a spectacular look – the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix
Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix
- A one-of-a-kind twin-dial model created by the watchmakers of the Les Cabinotiers department
- A calibre dedicated to grand complications
- 15 horological complications including a minute repeater, tourbillon, perpetual calendar and equation of time
- A combination of watchmaking expertise and an ancestral craft: hand engraving
Since the 18th century, Vacheron Constantin has perpetuated the tradition of the “Cabinotiers”, the name given to the prestigious and cultivated watchmakers who worked in workshops bathed in light located on the top floors of Geneva’s buildings. The expertise of these accomplished masters was backed by vast scientific knowledge, fired by a curiosity for new ideas and nurtured by the philosophy of the Enlightenment. Their deft hands craft exceptional timepieces of rare technical and aesthetic complexity, inspired by astronomy, science and the arts.
Vacheron Constantin continues to take on these highly technical and creative challenges within its Les Cabinotiers department, which gives rise to one-of-a-kind models intended for clients and collectors, along with specifically commissioned bespoke timepieces. Engineers, designers,
watchmakers and craftsmen unite their imagination, expertise and passion in bringing this extremely refined watchmaking excellence to life, as is vividly testified by the new one-of-akind Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix.
15 complication to gain eternity
According to the legend of the Phoenix, which arose in the East before reaching Asia, this fabled bird braved the cycle of life and death by setting itself on fire and rising from its ashes every 500 years. A symbol of immortality, it inspired the creators of the Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix watch, which also defies time with its 15 complications.
Visible on both sides of the watch, an array of indications – including a perpetual calendar, the equation of time, sunrise and sunset, sky chart, seasons, signs of the zodiac, age and phase of the moon, solstices, sidereal hours and minutes, power – endow it with nobility and prestige.
A minute repeater and a tourbillon complete this exceptional list of functions. The watchmakers of the Les Cabinotiers department have succeeded in accommodating all these functions within the limited space of the case by maximum miniaturisation of all components while preserving their reliability.
The numerals and hands stand out clearly against the slate-grey colour of the two dials on either side of the watch, beautifully offsetting the pink gold case. The optimal legibility of this complex model is also ensured by the layout of the additional counters and the various time indications.
Calibre 2755: an exceptional signature
Vacheron Constantin’s watchmakers have chosen the famous Calibre 2755 to drive the many functions of this extremely complicated watch. This manual-winding movement endowed with a 58-hour power reserve is dedicated to the particularly sophisticated models of the Manufacture – and notably those in the exceptional Grand Complication category to which this one-of-a-kind model belongs.
Art of hand-engraving
Epitomising a subtle balance between innovation and the transmission of ancestral skills, this exceptional model also pays tribute to a pair of engraving art techniques that few artisans still master: pounced ornament – or bas-relief – for the case-band; and fine line engraving
for the bezel and case-back. At least a decade’s experience is required to perfect the ability to sculpt gold to create such a three-dimensional effect, in a process involving 300 hours of patient craftsmanship. Given the extreme care lavished on details that constitutes a Vacheron Constantin signature, the wings of this legendary bird appear to be literally ready to unfurl on the case-band, while the movement of its slim neck extends elegantly and gracefully to the very tip of its beak.
Technical Specifications Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix
- 9700C/003R-B187 – Hallmark of Geneva
- Developed and manufactured by Vacheron Constantin – Mechanical, manual-winding – 33.9 mm diameter, 12.15 mm thick – Approximately 58 hours of power reserve – 2.5Hz (18,000 vibrations/hour) – 839 components
- 15 complications:
- 1. Minute repeater
- 2. Tourbillon
- 3-6. Perpetual calendar (date, the day of the week, month, leap year)
- 7. Power reserve
- 8. Equation of time
- 9. Sunrise time
- 10. Sunset time
- 11. Sky chart
- 12. Age and phases of the moon
- 13. Sidereal hours and minutes
- 14. Seasons, zodiac signs
- 15. Striking mechanism torque
- Hours and minutes adjustment: winding crown (2 positions) – Moon phase adjustment: correction push-piece on the case – Perpetual calendar adjustment: two correction push-pieces on the case – Sky chart adjustment: with crown and screwed-down push-piece
- 18K 5N pink gold with case-band hand-engraved with “Phoenix” sculpture, bezel and case back hand-engraved with an ornamental pattern – 47 mm diameter, 19.10 mm thick
- Slate-grey opaline dials – 18K 5N pink gold applied hour-markers – 18K 5N pink gold hands
- Dark brown Mississippiensis alligator leather, hand-stitched, saddle-finish, large square scales
- 18K 5N pink gold folding clasp and buckle hand-engraved with an ornamental pattern Half Maltese cross-shaped
- Prestige winder box made of Makassar ebony wood
- Delivered with a corrector pen, a magnifying glass
Unique timepiece, « Les Cabinotiers », « Pièce unique », « AC » hallmark engraved on caseback
About Vacheron Constantin
Founded in 1755, Vacheron Constantin is the world’s oldest watch Manufacture in continuous production for over 260 years, faithfully perpetuating a proud heritage of watchmaking excellence and stylistic sophistication through generations of master craftsmen.
At the pinnacle of high horology and understated elegance, the Maison creates timepieces with unique technical and aesthetic signatures and an extremely high level of finishing touches.
Vacheron Constantin brings to life unparalleled heritage and a spirit of innovation through its key collections: Patrimony, Traditionnelle, Métiers d’Art, Overseas, Fiftysix and Historiques. It also offers its discerning clientele of connoisseurs the rare opportunity to acquire unique and bespoke timepieces by means of its “Les Cabinotiers“ department.
For more information, please visit the Vacheron Constantin Website.