IWC Schaffhausen has unveiled a reworked version of the Portugieser Chronograph. The iconic design, with its clean, open dial, two recessed totalizers and flange with quarter-second scale, remains unchanged. Inside the case of the much-loved chronograph, however, IWC now uses a high-quality in-house movement from the 69000-calibre family, which can be seen through the transparent back.
Not without reason has the Portugieser Chronograph proved to be one of the most popular watches ever to emerge from Schaffhausen. The open, clean, functional dial, with two recessed totalizers at “6 o’clock” and “12 o’clock”, appliquéd Arabic numerals and slim feuille hands, is encircled by a filigree bezel. The flange, printed with a quarter-second scale, enables precision reading of stopwatch times and gives this timeless Portugieser a subtle, sporty touch.
Externally, the iconic design of the new models, which are grouped under Reference 3716, remains unchanged. The decisive new feature is hidden away inside the watch: the IWC-manufactured 69355 calibre ensures the precise display and measurement of time. The rugged, precision chronograph movement with the classic column-wheel design can be seen through the transparent back. An automatic pawl-winding system builds up a power reserve of 46 hours.
Six different versions are available in 18-carat 5N gold or stainless steel. The stainless-steel models are equipped with the newly developed butterfly folding clasp, which is particularly comfortable in wear.
In 1868, the American watchmaker and entrepreneur Florentine Ariosto Jones travelled from Boston to Switzerland and founded the ‘International Watch Company’ in Schaffhausen. His visionary dream was to combine advanced American manufacturing methods with the craftsmanship of Swiss watchmakers to make the best pocket watches of his time. In doing so, he not only laid the foundation for IWC’s unique engineering approach but also established the centralised production of mechanical watches in Switzerland.
Over its 150 year history, IWC Schaffhausen has developed a reputation for creating functional complications, especially chronographs and calendars, which are ingenious, robust, and easy for customers to use. A pioneer in the use of titanium and c eramics, IWC today specialises in highly engineered technical watch cases manufactured from advanced materials, such as titaniumaluminide and Ceratanium®. Preferring the principle of “form follows function” over decoration, the Swiss watch manufacturer’s timeless creations embody their owners’ dreams and ambitions as they journey through life.
IWC sources materials responsibly and takes action to minimise its impact on the environment, creating intrinsically sustainable timepieces that are built to last for generations. The company prides itself in training its own future watchmakers and engineers, as well as offering an excellent working environment for all employees. IWC also partners with organisations that work globally to support children and young people.
IWC Portugieser Chronograph Technical Specifications
- Mechanical movement
- stopwatch function with minutes and seconds
- small hacking seconds
- see-through sapphire glass back
- IWC manufacture calibre 69355
- Frequency: 28,800 vph / 4 Hz
- Jewels: 33
- Power reserve: 46 h
- Winding Automatic
- Ref. IW371604: Stainless steel case, silver-plated dial, gold-plated hands and appliques, black alligator strap
- Ref. IW371605: Stainless steel case, silver-plated dial, blue hands and appliques, blue alligator leather strap
- Ref. IW371606: Stainless steel case, blue dial, rhodium-plated hands and appliques, black alligator strap
- Ref. IW371609: Stainless steel case, black dial, rhodium-plated hands and appliques, black alligator strap
- Ref. IW371610: 18-carat 5N gold case, black dial, gold-plated hands, 18-carat gold appliques, black alligator strap by Santoni
- Ref. IW371611: 18-carat 5N gold case, silver-plated dial, gold-plated hands, 18-carat gold appliques, brown alligator leather strap by Santoni
- Glass: Sapphire, convex, antireflective coating on both sides
- Water-resistant: 3 bar
- Diameter: 41 mm
- Height: 13.1 mm