Independent watchmaker Zeitwinkel releases its latest model 273° Saphir Bleu, available from June 2021. This watch is powered by Zeitwinkel’s own automatic in-house calibre ZW0103 with a patented large-date mechanism and a power reserve of 72 hours. Like all Zeitwinkel movements, the calibre ZW0103 features German Silver plates and bridges and is elaborately decorated even in places that cannot be seen unless the movement is completely disassembled.
The dial is reminiscent of Zeitwinkel’s successful model 273° Saphir Fumé, but significantly more difficult to manufacture. Explains Zeitwinkel’s co-founder Peter Nikolaus: “The process which allows us to achieve this special blue colour and the LIGA process we use to apply indices and other dial components are very time-consuming. We can only make very few of these special dials every year, which subsequently limits the number of watches we can manufacture.”
Every 273° Saphir Bleu is assembled by hand in Zeitwinkel’s atelier in Saint-Imier in the Swiss Jura. The watchmakers build every movement from its basic components, assemble the watch and then test and regulate each timepiece. Since Zeitwinkel uses untreated German Silver, extra care is necessary as any mistakes in decoration, assembly or handling would remain visible, even more so as the movement can be seen through the transparent dial as well.
The result is well worth the effort, outlines another co-founder of Zeitwinkel, Professor Ivica “Maks” Maksimovic: “The warm colour of the movement in combination with the exceptional blue transparent dial is absolutely amazing. From some angles, the dial gives the impression of a nearly solid, very elegant blue coloured dial. Just a small tilt of the wrist however reveals beautiful bright blue colour tones and the details of the movement are brightly lit.”
Zeitwinkel’s model 273° Saphir Bleu is available for order immediately, but only a very limited number can be made every year. The first watches have already been spoken for by Zeitwinkel’s launch partner Chronopeace in Tokyo as a “Japan Priority” model.
Retail price for the model Zeitwinkel 273° Saphir Bleu is CHF 15,500.00 ex Zeitwinkel’s Manufacture in Saint-Imier, Switzerland.
Zeitwinkel “273° Saphir Bleu”
Manufacturer: Zeitwinkel Montres S.A., CH St-Imier
Model: Zeitwinkel 273° Saphir Bleu
- display of hour, minute, small seconds, large date and power reserve
Data manufacture calibre ZW0103
- calibre ZW0103
- functions automatic winding, small second, balance stop, large date display with quick-setting at the “11” position, power reserve indicator
- diameter: 13½ lines, 30.40 mm
- height: 8.0 mm
- winding rotor, bidirectional winding
- running autonomy >72 h
- material: plates and bridges german silver
- bearing jewels 49 – large date version
- balance Glucydur
- spiral Straumann
- frequency (4Hz) 28800 alternations / h
- impact resistance Incabloc
- adjustment regulation in five positions
- decoration screws chamfered and polished
- ¾ plate and balance cock with Geneva Stripes (Côtes de Genève)
- perlage on interior surfaces of plates and bridges
- lining on wheel bridge and rotor
- edges of ¾ plate and bridges chamfered and polished
- material: stainless steel 316 L
- height: 13.8 mm
- diameter: 42.5 mm
- glass sapphire, convex & with anti-reflection on interior back sapphire with anti-reflection on interior
- water resistance: 5 ATM
- crown Ø 8.00 mm, Bi-O-ring seal, 12 grooves
- transparent sapphire
- appliqués facetted & diamond-worked
- small second recessed
- hands diamond-worked, small second polished
- leather hand sewn calfskin leather strap with flawless Louisiana alligator structure: brown / black / blue / grey
- rubber: black
- impulse: 20 mm
- leather strap folding clasp with Zeitwinkel engraving
- rubber strap folding clasp with applied logo
- CHF 15,500.00 or EUR 15,500.00
Availability: June 23rd, 2021
All prices ex manufacture in Saint‐Imier / Switzerland. Prices in Euro (EUR) for customers with billing and shipping address in the European Union, including 19% VAT. Prices in Swiss Francs (CHF) including 7.7% VAT. Recommended retail prices, all prices are subject to change without notice.
Zeitwinkel “273° Saphir Bleu” Gallery
Zeitwinkel is an independent watch brand founded in 2006 and to this day run by its founders. The name means “time angle” in German and relates to the measurement for the true local time. All watches are assembled by hand and powered by one of Zeitwinkel’s own in-house movement calibres. Zeitwinkel movements are not based on any other movement and have a power reserve of 72 hours. Zeitwinkel watches are available directly from the manufacture and from select partners worldwide.