Angelus is launching Chronodate, the first collection that pays tribute to its famous chronograph calibre presented 80 years ago, in 1942. The Chronodate is available in three limited series of 25 pieces whose aesthetics are inspired both by historic Angelus references and the sleek, openworked lines of its recent pieces. With its modular 42.5 mm case, the Chronodate combines red gold, titanium and carbon. Its bicompax automatic chronograph movement is encircled by a peripheral date in reference to the original model.
The Chronodate collection presents a fusion of Angelus styles, with both the historical brand that is part of the Swiss watchmaking landscape and the technical brand with its ultra-dynamic designs of recent years. The choice of chronograph movement and peripheral date is reminiscent of the brand’s glory days and contrast with the multi-structure and multi-material exterior.
A modern case
Chronodate is presented in a 42.5 mm case. The movement sits within a container made of carbon composite, chosen for its rigidity and lightness. The chronograph’s push-pieces and the ring inserted between the case middle and the bezel are also cut from this matt black material.
Around this container, Angelus has designed a complex case with six main components that brings the case middle and lugs into a single line and houses the bezel marked with twelve notches. The ensemble is available in red gold or titanium.
A supple structure
This modular case opens up possibilities for playing with materials. The same is true for the large-diameter crown that extends beyond its casing and features a band of rubber in its centre for easier handling. The bevelled profile, alternating straight and curved lines, and the energy that it conveys contribute to the sporty credentials of the Chronodate.
Angelus was a pioneering manufacturer in the development of chronograph watches from the 1940s to 1960s. They had a small diameter but the counters on the dial stood out as they were especially large and legible. In the same spirit, the displays on today’s Chronodate dials are imposing, structured and three dimensional.
The counters and applied Arabic numerals are placed on matt dials, like frosted glass. This is a first in watchmaking, further accentuating the effect of depth and elegantly complementing the sporty case. The red gold Chronodate features a blue PVD dial while the titanium versions are available in opaline white or blue PVD.
A momentum of movement
Inside, Angelus has installed its latest Calibre A-500. The bicompax format displays the small seconds at 9 o’clock and a 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock. Encircling the dial, a hand sweeps over the peripheral date display. The openworked red arrowhead announces the colour theme of the secondary displays on the Chronodate: the markings on the chronograph push-pieces, the chronograph hand and its 30-minute counter hand are all finished with a touch of red lacquer.
The 4 Hz chronograph operates using a column wheel with horizontal coupling to avoid excess thickness. The automatic self-winding mechanism functions with an oscillating weight made to a historic design, reminiscent of Angelus’s earliest triumphs.
Chronodate Red Gold & Chronodate Titanium Technical specifications
- hours, minutes, bicompax chronograph, peripheral date
- Calibre: A-500, automatic self-winding mechanism
- Jewels: 26
- Diameter: 30.00 mm
- Thickness: 7.90 mm
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Frequency: 4 Hz / 28,800 vph
- mainplate: sandblasted and NAC treated
- bridges: microbeaded and NAC treatment, satin-finished edges
- wheels: circular and rhodium-plated
- oscillating weight: tungsten and 18-carat red gold (5N) decoration on gold model, or tungsten decoration on titanium models
- red gold: blue PVD, frosted centre, gold-coloured applied details coated with white Super-LumiNova emitting a blue glow, black minute track, gold-coloured applied logo
- titanium & blue: blue PVD, frosted centre, rhodium-plated applied details coated with white Super-LumiNova emitting a blue glow, black minute track, rhodium-plated applied logo
- titanium & white: opaline white, frosted centre, black DLC applied details coated with white Super-LumiNova emitting a blue glow, black minute track, rhodium-plated applied logo
- Material: monobloc bezel, crown and case middle in 18-carat red gold (5N) or titanium, sub-case and push-pieces in carbon composite
- Diameter 42.50 mm
- Thickness: 14.25 mm
- Crystal: box sapphire, anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case back: box sapphire, anti-reflective treatment
- Water-resistance: 30 metres/3 ATM
- red gold: blue rubber
- titanium & blue: blue rubber
- titanium & white: black rubber
- Folding clasp
- red gold: titanium plates and 18-carat red gold (5N) cover
- titanium: titanium plates and cover
- 25 pieces for each model
Swiss retail price
- red gold: CHF 42,900 incl. VAT (subject to change)
- titanium: CHF 22,900 incl. VAT (subject to change)