CYRUS Geneva, the independent Swiss watch brand, enriches its Klepcys collection with a new chronograph model. Christened “KLEPCYS DICE“, it is presented in two different versions in limited editions of 50 pieces each.
KLEPCYS DICE is the acronym of Klepcys Double Independent Chronograph Evolution. As its name indicates, it is an evolution of the traditional chronograph.
An innovative technical development, our master watchmaker, Jean-François Mojon, has transformed it into a double chronograph capable of measuring two short intervals of time independently or in synchrony. However, it should not be confused with the rattrapante version, where the two hands track the time of two events that start simultaneously but end at different times or indicate an intermediate elapsed time.
The first reports of a double independent chronograph date back to 1873, when watchmaker Arnold Frankfeld registered the development of his ‘Double-Stop Movements’ at the New York patent office. To our knowledge, there is no more recent evidence of this kind of timepiece.
Since its foundation in 2010, the driving force behind every watchmaking creation at CYRUS is the ongoing “Conquest of Innovation”. The bold and distinctive three-dimensional architecture that houses the atypical layouts of all Cyrus watches is only possible using cutting-edge technical solutions. These solutions also ensure excellent levels of reliability and precision.
All these aspects come to life in exclusive limited-edition timekeeping instruments that stand out in the vast landscape of contemporary watchmaking.
Thanks to the brand’s independence, its swift decision-making process, its production autonomy and impressive watchmaking know-how, CYRUS is proud to present KLEPCYS DICE. Powered by an exceptional self-winding manufacture movement, KLEPCYS DICE is equipped with an unprecedented double independent monopusher chronograph.
What motivated the creation of a double independent chronograph?
For Jean-François Mojon, the mastermind behind all CYRUS collections, the search for unique solutions that depart from classic watchmaking traditions are the way forward. The motivation behind the creation of KLEPCYS DICE comes directly from the world of sports with which CYRUS has a very special relationship, being “Official timekeeper and Watch partner” of the Uralkali Haas Formula 1 Team.
As Mojon explains: “This modern chronograph is the result of a deep reflection on the role of timing in sports competitions. In many sports, it is often important to measure elapsed times with different starting times. This occurs, for example, in races like marathons or biathlons where athletes do not cross the starting line at the same time or even in Formula 1 – a world very close to CYRUS – where two drivers, during the race tests, start at different times. In events like these, where the starting time is different for every sportsman, the KLEPCYS DICE chronograph can measure the times between two consecutive runners or racing drivers. A similar situation arises in car rallies, where it is common to use two independent chronographs. Our latest timepiece facilitates this operation thanks to the two monopusher crowns, which are essential to avoid any unwanted manipulation.”
A bold identity
KLEPCYS DICE comes in a distinctive 26-part cushion-shaped case. With a diameter of 42 mm and a thickness of 16.5 mm, the case is water-resistant to 10 ATM/100 m.
Available in polished grade 5 titanium or black DLC grade 5 titanium, the case undergoes various finishings, alternating polished, satin-brushed and sandblasted surfaces. The case back is sealed with customised screws with the Maison’s three-armed helix logo.
The twin crowns are equipped with a pusher that sets the three chronograph functions (start/stop/reset). Both are fully functional and embellished with the brand’s helix logo and distinguished by either a red or blue anodised aluminium ring to select which chronograph is going to be activated. The hallmark rubber ring to ensure a better grip of the crown when winding or setting the time is also featured on the KLEPCYS DICE.
Thanks to the open-worked architecture, the prestigious mechanics that powers CYRUS KLEPCYS DICE command centre stage on the dial.
The two column wheels are highlighted on the dial. Picked out in bright red and electric blue lacquer, they are placed at 12 and 6 o’clock, respectively. The unusual arrangement of the chronograph mechanism on the dial side reveals the motion of the finely decorated wheels, levers and gears mounted on a double mainplate with a black microbeaded PVD treatment.
A host of sapphire crystal elements on the dial offer an unhindered view of this extraordinary calibre. The large sapphire crystal ring corresponding to the time is anti-reflective and features Arabic numerals in relief with white Super-LumiNova that emits a blue glow. The sapphire ring, with its bevelled and polished profile, is cut to make room for the chronograph counter, the small seconds and the two column wheels.
The dimensions of the small seconds at 9 o’clock and the counter corresponding to the two independent chronographs at 3 o’clock are generous to enhance legibility. Both counters are crafted in smoked sapphire crystal and fixed to a bridge carved in the shape of Cyrus‘s logo. The rhodium-plated microbeaded helix is decorated with circular satin finish and doubles up as an original seconds hand with a luminescent tip.
The 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock – the star function of CYRUS KLEPCYS DICE – is equipped with two vertically aligned hands in red and blue. Thanks to the bold colours, reading the two elapsed times is instantaneous. The independent hands track a graduated scale with markers at 15 and 30 minutes in alternating red and blue. The same red and blue colour scheme is used for the two central seconds hands, each measuring a different length. The reason that the hands differ in length is because they track the seconds on a slightly convex flange printed with two parallel scales graduated every 5 seconds and picked out in red and blue.
Mirroring the motion of the hands on the 30-minute counter, the longer red central seconds hand measures time on the outermost scale and returns to zero at 12 o’clock; the shorter blue hand tracks the innermost blue scale and returns to zero at 6 o’clock.
The meticulous attention to detail on the dial of the CYRUS KLEPCYS DICE extends to the reverse side of the case. Thanks to a sapphire glass case back, the decorative flourishes on the NAC-treated bridges can be admired. Decorated with an embossed sunray pattern, the bridges display satin-brushed and polished surfaces. The design of the open-worked monobloc rotor is new and features a galvanic grey NAC coating and a sunray finish. The rotor is engraved with the motto “The Conquest of Innovation” and adorned with an 18k 4N gold helix.
KLEPCYS DICE is presented with a grey Cordura fabric strap with a titanium folding clasp to match the case material and is delivered with an additional black rubber strap.
Latest-generation calibre developed in our manufacture in Le Locle, Switzerland
Jean-François Mojon, renowned as one of our century’s most ingenious and talented watchmakers, is the mastermind behind the new 443-component CYR718 self-winding manufacture calibre powering KLEPCYS DICE.
KLEPCYS DICE is equipped with two independent chronograph movements and two display axes: one corresponds to the chronograph seconds and the second to the 30-minute counter of the double chronograph. The chronographs are activated by two column wheels, which in turn activate the different levers and couplings that move the seconds and 30-minute chronograph display.
The activation of chronograph levers generates considerable shocks and dispersion of energy, especially during the return-to-zero phase when the hammer on the heart cam is activated.
Thanks to a special system of insulation, which ensures precision measurements for the duration of the event, these shocks have no repercussions on the display of the functions. In short, the two chronographs function independently without exerting any influence on one another.
The motion work mechanism that carries the hours and minutes hands also required special attention. Conventionally, this mechanism is composed of several gears placed on different rotational axes. However, to free up as much space as possible for the dual chronograph complication, Mojon came up with a concentric mechanism for the motion work. Not only is the mechanism more compact, but it is coaxial to the axes of the hands.
Two mainplates were required for this innovative mechanism. Treated with black microbeaded PVD, the 218 components of the additional module corresponding to the two independent chronographs are mounted on the this two mainplates.
It is worth noting that since the chronograph mechanism is visible on the dial side, the movement has been reversed. Its symmetrical design offers a fascinating view of the two-column wheels that are the “heart” of this complication.
Automatic calibre CYR718 beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour and is equipped with a single barrel offering 60 hours of autonomy at full charge. Furthermore, the balance wheel is protected by an Incabloc shock protection system.
CYRUS KLEPCYS DICE Technical Specifications
Ref. 539.508.TT.A (polished titanium)
Ref. 539.508.DD.A (black DLC titanium)
- Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718
- Dimensions: 36.00 mm Ø x 11.65 mm thickness
- Components: 443 total – 218 correspond to the chronograph module
- Number of Jewels: 51 total – 17 correspond to the chronograph module
- Annular balance wheel
- Frequency: 4 Hz
- Vibrations per hour: 28,800
- Swiss lever escapement
- Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Two micro beaded black PVD main plates
- Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with embossed sunray pattern with satin and micro beaded finishing
- New open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with “The Conquest of Innovation”, open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
- Central hours and minutes
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock
- 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o’clock, double hands in red and blue
- Two central chronograph hands; red hand resets-to-zero at 12 o’clock, blue hand resets at 6 o’clock
- Cushion-shaped case made of 26 parts
- Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 16.5 mm
- Available in the following materials:
- Polished Grade 5 titanium,
- Grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment
- Crown at 3 o’clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset)
- Crown at 9 o’clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset)
- Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo, black rubber ring embossed with grooves and red anodised aluminium ring on crown at 3 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 1; blue anodised aluminium ring at 9 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 2
- Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus logo
- Engraving “Limited Edition ONE of 50”
- Water-resistance: 10 ATM (100 m – 330 ft)
- 3D open-worked dial
- Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges, Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions
- Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in red and blue
- Small seconds counter at 9 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire crystal, white lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow)
- 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire glass, luminescent markers at 5-minute intervals, two hands in red and blue with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs
- Lacquered column wheels: red at 12 o’clock and blue at 6 o’clock
- Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Central chronograph seconds hands: red hand with reset at 12 o’clock, blue with reset at 6 o’clock
- Grey Cordura fabric strap with folding clasp in same material as case, customised with Cyrus logo
- Additional black rubber strap
- 50 pieces in each case material