Introducing the newest timepiece by D. Candaux, weighing in at only 29.8 grams, the DC6 Black Phantom in Carbon combines traditional handmade watchmaking with modern materials and innovation. Precision craftsmanship allows the DC6 Black Phantom to remain waterproof at depths of 50 metres, an unusual feat for a watch of its calibre. The timepiece features a forged composite case housing a bi plan incline tourbillon complication, the sharp contrast offers the elegance of a handmade masterpiece and the practicality of modern lightweight materials.
A Valley Tradition
For centuries the Vallee de Joux, widely recognized as the birthplace of Swiss horology, has produced some of the world’s most acclaimed independent watchmakers. Located in the Jura Mountains just 30 miles north of Geneva, it’s harsh winters and stunning natural landscape provide a tranquil setting for craftsmen practicing a rare art form. Countless hours are spent assembling complications behind the wooden desks of an 18th century farmhouse dubbed “La Grand Piece,” the home and atelier of master watchmaker David Candaux.
As a third-generation master watchmaker, David Candaux spent his early years fully immersed in a culture founded upon traditional craftsmanship. After decades of honing his skills through a brilliant career with several renowned watch brands, David is prepared for his next chapter. Through the David Candaux Master-Piece Collection 1740, he brings forth knowledge passed on through generations, skills acquired over a spectacular career, and a valley watchmaker’s vision of a 21st century Haute Horlogerie.
Masterpiece Collection 1740
The Master-Piece Collection 1740 combines contemporary design with traditional watchmaking practices to usher in a new era of handmade luxury timepieces. The streamlined case elegantly protects the handmade complication consisting of 287 individual components.
Introducing the newest timepiece by D. Candaux, weighing in at only 29.8 grams, the DC6 Black Phantom in Carbon combines traditional handmade watchmaking with modern materials and innovation. Precision craftsmanship allows the DC6 Black Phantom to remain waterproof at depths of 50 metres, an unusual feat for a watch of it’s calibre. The time piece features a forged composite case housing a bi plan incline tourbillon complication, the sharp contrast offers the elegance of a handmade masterpiece and the practicality of modern lightweight materials.
Luxury watchmaking extraordinaire David Candaux, springs from the purest of watchmaking traditions via Vallée de Joux region, inhabiting its watchmaking customs. Through his early developed traits, allowing Candaux to represent the true values accustomed to high-end watchmaking within his own creations.
Candaux was born in Vallée de Joux, which is also known as the cradle of the high-end Swiss watchmaking, encompassing the watchmaking environment he’s lived in since birth. Like his grand-father, and father Daniel Candaux, he has mastered the complex heights of master watchmaking. Through generations of knowledge, Candaux is able to specialize in high-end complications for Patek Philippe, allowing him to discover and fall in love with the atmosphere of watchmaking workshops, permeating his work rhythm of concentration, silence and quietness.
David’s divine destiny in watchmaking began with an apprenticeship when he is only 15 years old. From there, he graciously sought additional trainings other than his natural watchmaking ability, to improve mastery within his art, building upon engineering discipline, watchmaking history, business management and development.
With being just shy of 40 years old, Candaux has almost 25 years of experience in watchmaking, allowing his knowledge to extends from the historical bounds of watchmaking and restauration of antiques, to the creating highly-complicated contemporary timepieces.
Candaux is an innovator of watchmaking craftsman, designing and producing each of his D.Candaux creations with the most exquisite traditions and customs associated with watchmaking. He thoroughly and effortlessly executes all artistry and decoration by hand, including the assembly and setting of all his timeless pieces.
David Candaux DC6 Black Phantom Carbon Technical Specifications
Functions and indicators
- Hours and minutes on a separate, domed counter
- Seconds hand via tourbillon cage at 9 o’clock
- Bi-plan tourbillon full Titane, net weight : 0.35 gr
- Power reserve indicator at 12 o’clock
- Inclined, manual-winding tourbillon movement
- Dimensions: 16 ¼ lignes (diameter 35 mm x 20 mm high)
- Materials: Grade 5 titanium plate and bridges. Untreated titanium and blued titanium for the tourbillon cage . Net weight : 12.5 gr
- Going train, wheels and bridges inclined at 3 degrees to the horizontal (patent-pending design).
- Double winding barrel with 55 hours power reserve
- Stainless steel, mirror-polished power reserve bridge
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3Hz)
- Number of jewels: 47, with polished sinks and gold chatons
- Number of parts: 287
- Finest traditional watchmaking craft with hand-made chamfering and anglage, hand-polishing, flanks brushing and unique Côtes du Solliat effect
Escapement and going train
- Single-axis, titanium bi-plan flying tourbillon at 9 o’clock: with cage inclined 3 degrees in relation to the horizontal, balance inclined at 30 degrees in relation to the cage
- Variable inertia balance
- Breguet overcoil spring with Philips terminal curve
- Cascade effect-profiled titanium movement
- Constant energy supply by double barrel
- Power reserve indication by conic camshaft system
- Secret and retractable, unlocking via pressure
- 3 positions: neutral, reset, and winding
- 31 parts.
- Materials: Titanium and Carbon
Front bezel, watch face
- Semi-spherical hours and minutes dials in aluminium.
- 18K high palladium content white gold indexes chamfered and polished by hand
- Grade 5 titanium decorated with engine-turned Pointe du Risoux
- Hours: conical and curved, dagger-shaped, in natural aluminium, chamfered, polished.
- Minutes: conical and curved, dagger-shaped, in natural aluminium, chamfered, polished.
- Power reserve: dagger-shaped, in aluminium, chamfered and polished by hand
- Asymmetric, bassinet-shaped
- carbon fiber
- Diameter: 44 mm
- Total thickness: 12.60 mm
- 2 semi-spherical sapphire windows and 1 anti-reflective glass; sapphire case back
- Net weight : 17,3 gr
- Guaranteed water resisitant to 50 meters
- Full woven rubber strap.
- Velcro fastener.
- Entirely hand and swiss made
- Special buckle for velcro in titanium grade 5
- Medallion D. Candles in 18k yellow gold
Total weight of the watch head: 29.8 gr
For a review of the previous DC6 model, please check this link: David Candaux DC6 Half Hunter Solstice in pictures.