LAURENT FERRIER has always drawn its inspiration from the time-honoured traditions of Fine Watchmaking. These vintage influences, combined with the eponymous designer’s animist beliefs, make it possible to create watches that are much more than mere tools for telling the time but real multisensory experiences. Through two exclusive pieces, LAURENT FERRIER offers its contemporary vision of a legendary theme from the late 1930s. Unique and nostalgic, these new Square Micro-Rotor Retro incorporate a real part of history.
Two retro dials
These original interpretations of the Square Micro-Rotor embody a return to Art Deco codes with their 1930s aesthetic characteristic. Unmistakably modern, this artistic style is based on a certain geometric rigour, minimalism and graphic stylisation.
After taming Roman numerals and drop-shaped indexes, LAURENT FERRIER is exploring Arabic numerals for this new design. Also known as pilot numerals, they give the whole piece a casual feel while offering exceptional readability. Finely decaled here with an Art Deco touch, the Arabic numerals are combined with a modern, architectural hour circle.
This new Square Micro-Rotor Retro’s 1930s influence can also be seen in the use of metallic colours, expressed in two different smart casual adaptations:
A first version displays a steel case paired with a delicate silvery-white dial, whose opaline centre contrasts with a subtle circular satin-brushed exterior. A decaled charcoal grey hour circle that match the numbers and small second markers, beautifully enhances the whole timepiece.
The second variant offers a charcoal grey opaline dial with the same refined finishes, nestled in an 18K red gold case. The decals, on the other hand, are made in matte white to ensure optimum legibility.
A timeless case
The brand’s iconic Square case stands the test of time. Through its contours, symmetry, aerodynamic curves and complex lines, the Square’s case demonstrates its Art Deco character, while showcasing the House’s streamlined aesthetic.
With its 41 x 41 mm dimensions, it makes a bolder statement than the brand’s Classic case. It features a ball-shaped winding crown for easy handling. The detailed design down to the hooked case back allows you to admire the movement, visible at the back, free from all distraction. The watchmaker can access the movement via the olivette. Its water resistance is guaranteed to a depth of 30 metres.
An ingenious movement
Like the Mad Decade, when apparent simplicity and minimalism hid a great cultural and intellectual effervescence, these two new dials conceal an exceptional complication, emblematic of the LAURENT FERRIER collection. Laurent’s love for exceptional classic pieces teamed with innovative and complex engines led him to kit out these two new additions with his famous FBN 229.01 calibre.
A self-winding movement, it is equipped with a natural escapement Micro-Rotor. This escapement stands out with a unidirectional pawl-fitted micro-rotor and a three-day power reserve. A movement exclusive to LAURENT FERRIER, it is designed, assembled and adjusted in the LAURENT FERRIER workshops. It is fitted with a silicon escapement featuring a double direct impulse on the balance. This innovation, developed by LAURENT FERRIER, enables the balance to be impelled twice per oscillation, which requires two escape wheels and an appropriately shaped lever. This modern construction, combined with the use of cutting-edge materials, maximises energy efficiency. This escapement’s excellent performance thus guarantees the balance’s high amplitude. The mechanical force required to wind the barrel spring is reduced, thereby optimising winding of the movement.
Once again, LAURENT FERRIER is demonstrating with integrity its ability to create timeless exceptional timepieces devoid of any superfluous detail, with a pure aesthetic.
LAURENT FERRIER Square micro-rotor retro Technical Specifications
- Self-winding FBN 229.01 calibre
- Natural escapement
- Unidirectional pawl-fitted micro-rotor
- Silicon escapement featuring a double direct impulse on the balance
- Indications: Hours and minutes in the centre. Small seconds at 6 o’clock
- Diameter: Ø 31.60 mm (14’’’)
- Thickness: 4.35 mm
- Frequency: 3 Hz (21,600 vibrations/hour)
- Power reserve: 72 hours
- Number of components: 186
- Number of jewels: 35
- Stainless steel or 18K 5N red gold
- Dimensions: 41 x 41 mm / diagonal 45.35 mm
- Height: 11.10 mm
- Water-resistant to 30 metres
- Crown: “Ball”-shaped in stainless steel or 18K 5N red gold
- Opaline silvery white at the centre and circular satin-brushed hour circle
- Charcoal grey Arabic numerals, hour circle and logo decals
- Small seconds at 6 o’clock, with fine azurage and charcoal grey markers
- Opaline charcoal grey at the centre and circular satin-brushed hour circle
- Matte white Arabic numerals, hour circle and logo decals
- Small seconds at 6 o’clock, with fine azurage and matte white markers
- 18K 210 Pd white gold, ruthenium-treated or painted white
- Hour and minute: “Assegai”-shaped, ruthenium-treated or painted white
- Second: baton-style, ruthenium-treated or painted white
- Hand-sewn dark grey or khaki velvet alligator strap, Alcantara lining
- Pin buckle in stainless steel or 18K 5N red gold