Rado is once again very proud to announce its newest addition to the True Square Collection, the True Square “Over the Abyss”. A design collaboration with New Delhi artist duo Thukral and Tagra. A timepiece that presses on our temporality as individuals and highlights the importance of our connection with others.
Jiten Thukral and Sumir Tagra’s work focuses on something that is intrinsic to humans but sometimes forgotten in modern societies: the relationship of us individuals to our communities. This is why their work is often described as social design. The duo always tries to understand their existence and questions the status quo, thus naming their work: Over the abyss.
The Indian duo included their focus on social design to create together with the Master of Materials a timepiece with a unique time display that superimposes the local time of the wearer to several time zones of the world. These different time zones are symbolized by 37 hands that are painted in a gradation of colours ranging from blue to pink, and looking like enchanting fireworks in the middle of the dial. Two discrete but mighty SuperLuminova dots indicate the local time.
The captivating dial with colour strikes is encapsulated by a 38mm matt blue high-tech ceramic case of square shape with gently rounded corners, an homage to Rado’s iconic shape from the 70s and updated for the 21st century. The case back features a painting by the duo called Dominus Aeries that explores visions from the future with references from the past. Therefore, both front and back are beautiful art expressions of Thukral and Tagra.
With the True Square Over the Abyss, Rado and Thukral and Tagra aim to connect people through a timepiece that is universal, unique and of course smooth, comfortable and durable like is common from the Swiss watchmaker from Lengnau.
About Thukral & Tagra
Jiten Thukral and Sumir Tagra from India form the art and design practice Thukral and Tagra. Their work is primarily manifested in painting, sculpture and art installations through which they try to paint a vision of the future which is compelling, comforting and engaging. Their earlier work dealt with tropes of migration and motifs of a globally manifested consumer culture and their recent work has dealt with the interpretation of Indian mythological narratives and symbols. Their 18 year trajectory and unique design eye have allowed them to participate in numerous exhibitions across the world, and have made them one of the most compelling and sought after Indian artists. www.thukralandtagra.com
Rado True Square x Thukral & Tagra, Over the Abyss Technical Specifications
- Rado Calibre R763,
- 25 jewels,
- 2 star shaped hands,
- 80 hours power reserve
- Mat blue high-tech ceramic case, monobloc construction
- Mat blue high-tech ceramic crown
- Flat sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Blue PVD coated titanium case back with digital printed drawing on sapphire crystal insert with special engraving: THUKRAL AND TAGRA
- Water-resistant to 5 bar (50m)
- Dimensions 38.0 x 44.2 x 9.9 (WxLxH in mm)
- Blue lacquer
- Blue flange with light blue printed Swiss Made logo
- Light blue printed Rado and Automatic logos
- Hands Multi-coloured gradient, from blue to pink
- Star-shaped with 18 hour hands and 19 minute hands
- White Super-LumiNova® indicator on minute and hour hand
- Mat blue high-tech ceramic titanium 3-fold clasp
- 2.700 CHF / 2.710 € / $2,770 / £2,460