Throughout its long history, Longines has created pieces that have stood the test of time. A re-issue of a chronograph with a 1930s’ design, The Longines Avigation BigEye is now available in titanium with a petrol blue dial. This timepiece – characterised by the visibility of its dial and its oversized 30-minute counter – joins the great tradition of pilot watches. Driven by an exclusive chronograph movement fitted with a silicon balance-spring, this new model also comes with a 5-year warranty.
Since the early 20th century, Longines has been associated with conquering the skies. Today, the winged-hourglass brand presents a new interpretation of The Longines Avigation BigEye in titanium with a petrol blue dial, in homage to the greatest aviation moments and its pioneers. This pilot’s chronograph with an emblematic 1930s’ design is characterised by the striking size of its 30-minute counter: a unique look that inspired the model’s name (BigEye).
The Longines Avigation BigEye has a 41-mm titanium case which encloses a column-wheel chronograph movement (L688) with a silicon balance-spring for accuracy and enhanced resistance to magnetic fields. To prove its reliability, this new version comes with a 5-year warranty.
In keeping with the spirit of pilots’ watches, The Longines Avigation BigEye is also characterised by its ease of reading. Adorned with sand-blasted black hands and Arabic numerals coated with SuperLuminova®, its grained and shaded petrol blue dial features a seconds subdial at 9 o’clock, a 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock and an oversized 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock.
A box-shaped sapphire glass with multi-layered anti-reflective finish above and below, and a screw-down and engraved case back also attest to the advanced technology of this piece.
This new version comes with a natural brown leather strap with a vintage finish. It joins a version of The Longines Avigation BigEye in steel with black dial, launched in 2017.
Longines Avigation BigEye Technical Specifications
- Hours, minutes, small seconds at 9 o’clock
- Central 60-second hand
- 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock
- 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock
- Self-winding mechanical movement with silicon balance-spring
- Calibre L688 (ETA A08.L01)
- 13¼ lines,
- 27 jewels,
- 28,800 vibrations per hour
- 54 hours of power reserve
- Round, 41 mm, titanium
- Special engraving on the case back
- Screw-down case back
- Water-resistant: 3 bar (30 meters)
- Box-shaped sapphire crystal with several layers of antireflective coating
- Grained and shaded petrol blue dial with 9 Arabic numerals coated with SuperLuminova®
- Hands: Black sand-blasted, hours and minutes hands coated with SuperLuminova®
- Brown leather with buckle in titanium