In collaboration with the Frederique Constant team, Peter Speake and Daniela Marin have personalised the Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture, revealing the beauty of the mechanism for all to see and making some technical design alterations that give it The Naked Watchmaker touch.
Having had the pleasure to feature a deconstruction of the Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture, the idea came about to collaborate with Frederique Constant on a timepiece. The Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture, lends itself perfectly to the task. The dial enclosed the movement and the idea to physically reveal the movement and thus creating a Limited Edition that would give the watch a new identity and encompasses elements that personify the mission of The Naked Watchmaker platform in a timepiece.
From the choice of colours to more technical changes, there is a salute to the history of fine watchmaking. The result is an attractive technical Limited Edition timepiece of 99 watches, that remains accessible at an extraordinary price point for a watch of this complexity.
This Limited Edition is not only the first timepiece The Naked Watchmaker has ever embarked upon, but it is the only project of its kind with Peter Speake as the platform’s technical expert and principal project designer. It is the last watch to be as a result of the work of both Peter Speake and Daniela Marin, making this timepiece an important milestone.
The original watch.
The original Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacturewas developed in 2015 with the objectives of creating a beautiful watch starting with a balanced dial. True to its “Let more people enjoy luxury” mission, the module was developed with the objective of simplifying the use and number of components as well as positioning it as an accessible complication timepiece.
The original Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacturewas the ideal candidate for this challenge as the solid dial concealed the movement and gave us the opportunity to fulfil The Naked Watchmaker mission and reveal the inner beauty of the watch. Due to the space that was available between the dial and the sapphire, we were able to add levels and thicken the dial and by cutting away at the dial, depth was added whilst simultaneously revealing the movement within.
The following changes were made.
– The Day and Date sub-dials and hands are much larger than the original Frederique Constant dials, giving greater visibility.
– The Moon phase was altered to be an animation reflecting the movement of time and shows the two moons when one is usually hidden. This created with the SLN moons gives a visually captivating and different use of the moon disk.
– The Months indications are altered to optimise their visibility. The year hand was removed and a colour indication has been placed between January and March.
– Leap year indication: so as to avoid the months indication being obstructed, the years are shown through an opening at February, each year is a different colour and the leap year is red.
– The Hands were designed to be easily seen but not to block the visibility of the mechanics of the perpetual calendar and thus the reason for the cut outs and the wide design.
– Luminova: the use of luminova allows for reading the time at night but in particular accentuates the moons’ animation at night.
– Bridge colours: blue provides a strong contrast with the steel and gold coloured components accentuating the mechanics. Traditionally, the colour blue also holds a special place in the world of horology and we see historically blued hands and screws, it is a nod to the history of fine watchmaking.
– Choice of brown: the brown used has a warm slight vintage feel for a classical watch. It also allows the indications in white to be strongly contrasted – Congruent with the choice of strap.
The Naked Watchmaker X Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture is available in a limited edition of 99 pieces exclusively on the dedicated website…. . https://bit.ly/FrederiqueConstant-NakedWatchmaker
The Naked Watchmaker X Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture Technical Specifications
Reference FC-775TNW4S6 – RRP 9’995€
- Hours, minutes, moonphase, date, day, month, leap year, moon animation
- FC-775 Manufacture calibre, automatic, perpetual calendar
- Perlage decoration on movement
- Blue automatic bridge with Côtes de Genève decoration
- Satin finishing on all QP spring and levrs
- Circular finishing on perpetual calendar wheels and cams
- 26 jewels, 38-hour power reserve, 28’800 alt/h
- Brushed and polished stainless steel 3-part case
- Diameter of 42mm
- Scratch-resistant and anti-reflective convex sapphire crystal
- See-through case back
- Water-resistant up to 3 ATM
- Brown colour, skeleton, luminescent printed outer chapter ring
- White lacquered hands with luminous treatment
- Moons with luminous treatment
- Brown fabric strap with beige stitching
Limited Edition Limited edition 99 engraved on the movement