Founded in 2010, CYRUS Genève turned 10 in 2020. To celebrate this important milestone, the Swiss Manufacture has created a limited series of 10 pieces. Due to the current global pandemic and as it happened also for the Olympic Games in Tokyo, we are able to unveil the new KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON SAPPHIRE one year later.
Designed by master-watchmaker Jean-François Mojon, the brilliant creative mind behind all Cyrus Genève creations, the first edition of the Klepcys Vertical Tourbillon was released in 2018 and showcases an outstandingly innovative manual winding movement driving the watch. The tourbillon cage, placed in the middle of the dial for the first time, is set on a vertical axis at a 90° angle. Painstaking studies by the technical team at CYRUS revealed that this angle ensures the tourbillon cage is almost always in a vertical position when on the wrist, thereby optimising its performance in precision.
To further enhance the beauty of this surprising mechanism, Cyrus Genève chooses a unique 3-D open-worked architecture for its dial and adopts, for the first time, a transparent sapphire crystal case which allows a complete view of the movement from all angles and let watch enthusiasts and collectors appreciate all its stunning details.
Composed of a total of 29 parts (the sapphire crystal components are the case body with lugs, the bezel, the case back ring and the two sapphire glasses on the dial and on the backside) the style of the 44 mm case, excluding the functional 18k 4N rose gold twin-crowns, has been redesigned to hide a maximum of fasteners, screws and steel elements. Some recessed edges have been slightly rounded to make machining and polishing possible without compromising on design and the strong character of this watch.
The realization of this sapphire crystal case with the intricate geometry of the Cyrus Klepcys Tourbillon model was a very big challenge. Complex shapes required the use of small tools, which generate very long machining. Polishing operations also needed many hours of work before all surfaces were perfectly polished and free from surface defects. It goes without saying that by the very hard nature of sapphire, the edges can crumble under the pressure of the tools and then you have to restart from the beginning.
The result is a feeling of lightness of this timepiece while guaranteeing tested resistance to any wearing conditions.
The transparency of the case contributes to highlighting the 18K 4N gold arch, inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s self-supporting bridge, which symmetrically divides the hours and minutes indications. Due to this layout, the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON SAPPHIRE shows the jumping retrograde hours on a left black microbeaded arch with luminescent Arabic numerals while the sweeping retrograde minutes are read off on the right arch. The hour and minute hands are also covered with Super-LumiNova for better legibility in dark light conditions.
The seconds are visible on the tourbillon cage thanks to small numbered plates on a 5- second interval scale.
Between the two arches of the tourbillon bridge, a black DLC microbillé sphere with a 5mm diameter, set at 12 o’clock, catches the eye. It displays the days of the power reserve (1-4). To achieve a balanced effect, the CYRUS Genève logo is set at 6 o’clock.
This original 3D structure is protected by a tailor-made sapphire crystal glass which is domed and anti-reflective, with a thickness of 1.2 mm.
Thanks to its transparent nature and exclusive open-worked dial, all the features of the in-house manufacture hand-wound movement, calibre CYR625, beating at 21.600 vph and offering over 100-hour power reserve, can be admired in full.
The “beating heart” of the KLEPCYS VERTICAL SKELETON TOURBILLON SAPPHIRE can also be seen from the case back. This reveals the masterful finish executed by the highly skilled master artisans at CYRUS Genève. The grey-coloured bridges, thanks to the NAC galvanic treatment, are decorated with an embossed sunray pattern and have a microbeaded satin finish that contrasts with the polished finish of the edges.
The two parallel barrels have black lacquered ratchet-wheels adorned with CYRUS’s signature propeller-like logo. The sapphire crystal ring which secures the case back with customized screws, is engraved with the inscription “10 years CYRUS – Est. 2010”.
This new timepiece is completed with a white rubber strap featuring a new embossed prism pattern and is fitted with an 18K 4N gold folding buckle embellished with the CYRUS Genève logo.
Cyrus Klepcys Vertical Skeleton Tourbillon Sapphire Technical Specifications
Reference 539.506.ZG.A – Limited edition of 10 pieces
- In-hause manufactured hand-winding movement, calibre CYR625
- Dimensions: 36.4 mm Ø x 14.4 mm thickness
- Number of parts of the complete movement: 344
- Number of jewels: 51
- Frequency: 3 Hz
- Vibrations per hour: 21,600
- Power reserve: more than 100 hours
- Two parallel barrels with black lacquered ratchet-wheels with the Cyrus logo
- Swiss pallet fork escapement
- Variable-inertia balance wheel
- Bridges: decoration with slightly curved sunray pattern alternating polished and an opaque, sandblasted effect. Grey NAC galvanic treatment on the surfaces.
- Bridge screws with mirror-polished heads
- Material: steel
- Number of parts of the tourbillon cage: 52
- Weight of the cage: 0.706 g.
- Central tourbillon on vertical axis at a 90° angle
- Complete rotation in 1 minute
- Jumping retrograde hours on the left side of the dial
- Sweeping retrograde minutes on the right side of the dial
- Seconds on the tourbillon cage with blocks graduated at 5 second intervals, and 60 seconds highlighted in red
- Power reserve displayed through a sphere set at 12 o’clock (1-4 days)
- Cushion-shaped sapphire crystal case composed of a total of 29 parts
- Diameter: 44 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 19,9 mm
- Crown at 3 o’clock: in position 1, it winds the movement; in position, 2 it adjusts the time
- Crown at 9 o’clock: hour increment by pressing the pusher
- Decoration of crowns in 18K 4n rose gold: engraved Cyrus logo – white caoutchouc rubber ring decorated with small embossed squares
- Sapphire crystal on dial: anti-reflective treatment on both sides, domed and tailor-made, thickness of 1.2 mm
- Case back: transparent, with anti-reflective sapphire crystal on one side, fastened with screws customised with the Cyrus logo, engraved with the inscription “10 years CYRUS – 2010”.
- Water resistant to 3 ATM (30 m. – 100 ft.)
- Open-worked dial with different decorations of the components such as:
- Two parallel barrels (between 12 and 9 and between minutes 00 and 25): rhodium plated with engraved triangle motif
- Wheels: rhodium plated and decorated with a cerclage effect
- Bridges (between 9 and 5 and between 20 and 40 minutes): microbeaded finish in NAC galvanic black
- Mirror-polished cams
- Central tourbillon bridge comprising two brass arches in 18K 4N gold with microbeaded finish, bevelled and polished edges
- Sweeping retrograde minute arch to the right with microbeaded finish, white Arabic numerals and indices, trimmed with a golden edge
- Retrograde hour arch to the left, white Arabic numerals and indices, trimmed with a golden edge
- Hour/minute hands: exclusive Cyrus desing, open-worked, 4N gold plated, luminescent tips
- 5 mm sphere indicating the power reserve (1-4 days in white numerals), black DLC “microbeaded finish
- White rubber strap with new embossed prism pattern
- 18K 4N gold folding buckle customised with the CYRUS logo