Perrelet, the Swiss watchmaking manufacture renowned for its original creations with animated dials, is introducing a new wristwatch in the Turbine line for the summer of 2022: Perrelet Turbine Rainbow. The iconic Turbine model has been renewed and adopts an innovative carbon fibre case with improved water resistance to 10 atm / 100m instead of the traditional 5 atm.
Carbon fibre, a material never used before by Perrelet – except for the unique piece “Turbine Hope” conceived for the 9th edition of the Only Watch charity auction in 2021 – is now deployed on a series of new timepieces in the Turbine sporty line. The first model of these creations, with more to follow later this year, is named “Turbine Rainbow” and is a limited edition of 50 pieces.
“Turbine Rainbow” features a high-tech case with a stainless steel bezel and case back with matte black PVD coating and a central body made of polycarbonate and carbon fibre. The properties of carbon fibre include its thermal insulation capacity, its resistance to chemical agents and temperature changes, and its extreme lightness; qualities that make it an ideal material for watchmaking.
The case, measuring 44 mm in diameter and 13.82 in thickness, has a sporty-chic look with its flat, smooth bezel and fluted case band – a signature feature of the brand. The sub-dial, a key component in the Turbine collection, is decorated with a new and exclusive motif. As the 12-blade black anodised aluminium propeller rotates, the beauty of the sub-dial is revealed.
With each movement of the wrist, the Perrelet Turbine unveils details of the sub-dial, illustrating a different leitmotif every time. A wide range of motifs has appeared over the years, from animalier artwork and symbols of Japanese culture to camouflage patterns. The hallmark double rotor of the Turbine was patented in 2009, converting it into the iconic Perrelet model.
For the new “Turbine Rainbow”, the brand’s creative team chose the colourful ‘rainbow’ theme. Countless small dots, like patches of colour in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet are spread out against a ‘black canvas’ creating an engaging, abstract, multi-coloured pattern. The result is reminiscent of the “drip painting” technique used by the famous early 20th-century American painter, Paul Jackson Pollock.
The shadows of the rainbow, the fascinating optical phenomenon that occurs when sunlight passes through suspended drops of water after a thunderstorm, are reproduced in a precise sequence on the Arabic numerals and indices. The colours start with red at 12 o’clock, followed by orange at 2 o’clock and progress to yellow, green, blue, and finally violet. All of them glow in the dark with matching-coloured Super-LumiNova – a sophisticated touch that underlines Perrelet‘s extreme attention to detail in the manufacture of its watches. The hour and minute hands are filled with white Super-LumiNova, while the central seconds hand is shiny red.
“Turbine Rainbow” is powered by calibre Perrelet P-331-MH, an in-house automatic movement, beating at 28,800 vibrations per hour and supplying 42 hours of power reserve. Having successfully undergone Chronofiable and COSC certification tests, the calibre guarantees high precision and reliability. The stainless steel case back, with black PDV coating, features a sapphire crystal porthole that allows a view of the circular graining on the main plate and the open-worked oscillating weight embellished with the Maison’s logo.
The watch comes with a water-resistant black calfskin strap with a rubber lining and is delivered in a special “tactical box” accompanied by an additional rubber strap and a fastening tool.
Perrelet “Turbine Rainbow” will be available at prestigious authorised retailers worldwide from mid-August 2022. Those who do not have a shop close to home and live in EU countries or in the United States, can take advantage of the E-Commerce platform by logging onto Perrelet’s website. This is a recent service offered by the Maison, which always strives to do its best to meet the wishes of the brand’s many enthusiasts around the world.
Perrelet Turbine Rainbow Technical Specifications
Ref. A8003/1 – €4.950,00
- Perrelet in-house calibre P-331-MH, mechanical with automatic winding, COSC and Chronofiable certified
- 28.800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz)
- Number of jewels: 25
- Power reserve (fully wound): 42 hours
- Open-worked and rhodium-plated oscillating weight with Perrelet logo
- Hours, minutes and seconds
- Round, case body in polycarbonate and carbon fibre, flat bezelin stainless steel with black matt PVD coating
- Diameter: 44 mm
- Thickness: 13. 82 mm
- Sapphire crystal glass with double anti-reflective treatment on dial
- Fluted case band
- Crown with Perrelet logo
- Case back in stainless steel with black PVD coating, sapphire glass porthole with the inscription “Limited Edition X/50.
- Waterproof to 10 Atm/100 m /328 ft
- Black sub-dial with dots in the rainbow colours
- Turbine technology
- 12 black anodised aluminium turbine blades with five tungsten counterweights
- Central hour and minute hands with white Super-LumiNova
- Red central seconds hand
- Arabic numerals and indices in rainbow colours which glow in the dark with matching-coloured Super-LumiNova
- Water-resistant black calf leather with grey stitching and rubber lining
- Folding clasp in black PVD stainless steel embellished with the Perrelet logo
- Watch delivered in a tactical box with an additional rubber strap and fastening tool.
Be the first to comment